Saw Aunty Young's beautiful pale blue chiffon and absolutely loved the pastel color. I have some dried blue pea flowers in the freezer but no soya milk. Checked the fridge and found some yuzu juice given to me by my sister so I used that to flavor the milk and got this combination:D
The yuzu gave this cake a very fragrant smell which was really refreshing! Unfortunately, the cake was slightly under baked and the cake dropped while cooling! Oh well, still taste and smell delicious!
Blue Pea and Yuzu Chiffon Cake
mostly adapted from Aunty Young's recipe
20cm chiffon cake mould
5 egg yolks,
30g caster sugar,
10g honey (omitted)
70g corn oil
110g cake flour (AP Flour)
15g corn flour
20 blue pea flowers + 5tbsp hot water (bring to boil in a microwave oven),
1tsp vanilla essence (extract) - replaced with 1 tbsp yuzu juice
250g (6pcs) egg white - I only used 5
90g caster sugar,
1tsp lemon juice
1) Mix egg yolk, sugar and salt using an electric mixer until even.
2) Mix in corn oil. Once evenly mixed, add in milk.
3) Sieve in cake flour and corn flour and mix evenly into a yellow batter.
4) Divide the batter into 2 portions. Add the blue pea juice to one portion to obtain blue pea batter and add the yuzu juice to the other portion.
|Ready to pour into pan|
7) Once the meringue has been folded into both batter, pour them into the mould alternately.
8) Get rid of air bubbles by knocking the mould against a hard surface, then bake in a preheated oven at 170°C for about 50 minutes. I only baked at 140C for 50 minutes. Should increase baking time!
9) Remove cake from the oven and immediately invert it to cool. Remove the mould after it has cooled completely.