I bought a few cookbooks from the last Big Bad Wolf Book Sale and this was the first recipe that I tried from one of the books that I hauled back, "biscuits, baking & cakes", edited by Gina Steer. I loved this recipe for the simple way it was put together, there wasn't any need to use the mixer to cream or mix the ingredients. Very easy to adapt, just substitute with whatever ingredients that you have.
Fruit & Nut Flapjacks
adapted from the Biscuits, Bakings & Cakes (Essential Recipes) edited by Gina Steer
75g butter (reduced to 65g as I had less rolled oats)
125g brown sugar (reduced to 100g)
3 tablespoons golden syrup (I only used 2 tablespoons as that was the amount I had left)
175g rolled oats (I only used 120g)
50g walnuts (subtituted with 100g almonds) chopped
50g icing sugar mixed with 1.5 tbsp lemon juice (I substituted with lime juice)
|My icing was obviously too thick!|
1. Preheat oven to 180 DegC. Lightly oil an 9 inch square baking tin.
2. Melt butter with sugar and syrup in a small saucepan over low heat. Remove and add raisins, nuts and oats and mix to combine.
3. Pour into prepared tin, pressing down to compress the mixture.
4. Bake until golden brown for about 25 minutes.
5.Cool slightly before cutting into bars.
6. Mix icing sugar with lime juice until a thin icing is obtained. Use it to decorate your cooled flabjacks.
|No piping skill at all but the flabjacks were chewy and delicious!|
I am linking this post to Bizzy Bakes Recipe Box