Naffnang

Followers

Monday, April 7, 2014

5K dollar starter dough bread


The name of this bread caught my attention. The sight of the photos from Vivian Pang's blog made me go straight into my kitchen to start on the starter dough and back here again to read the rest of the recipe closely while waiting for it to proof for 2 hours:D


Upon inspection of the recipe more closely, I note that this is quite similar to the over night dough method, except the ratio of starter and main dough is 50/50.  However, it requires less fermenting time than the over night dough although it is perfectly fine to leave the starter dough in the fridge over night too as some bloggers suggest.

So here's my version of this popular bread for the moment until a new recipe comes along:)

Adapted and slightly modified from Vivian Pang Kitchen
5 Thousand Dollars Starter Dough Bread Recipe (五千元的老式面包)
Yield about 570g bread dough with half recipe (1 loaf)
Servings: 10/57g/155 calories (based on a 2000 calorie diet)

Ingredients:
~Starter dough
105g bread flour
45g cake flour (low protein flour)
12g sugar
3g instant yeast (1/2 teaspoon + ¼ teaspoon)
120ml water

~Main dough
105g bread flour
45g cake flour (low protein flour)
20g almond meal (if you wish to omit, add 20g more flour)
48g sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
12g milk powder
1 egg (weight 57g without shell) my egg is exactly 57g without shell
10 ml water (original calls for 27ml) ~ it was already very wet hence I refrained from adding the remaining water

36g butter, room temperature

Methods: (with stand mixer)
Starter dough
1. Add in all the ingredients into the stand mixer bowl and mix to combine. I used a spatula to do this as I find it easier.

2. Cover the dough and let it rise for 2-3 hours at room temperature.


Main dough
1. Add the rest of ingredients for main dough except butter into starter dough. Knead well.

2. Then, add in butter and continue kneading till form smooth and elastic dough. It should pass the window pane test at this point.

3. Cover the dough and let it rise to just about double in size.

4. Divide the dough into 3 pieces. Shape into rosettes or you can pleat it into a braid.

5. Place into greased loaf pan and leave to rise for the last time, till doubled in size. Took me less than an hour as the weather was very hot and humid the day I baked this bread.  Bake in preheated oven at 160C for about 20 minutes.
*Make sure the pan is greased and floured properly for easy bread removal.

6. Remove and leave to cool on wire rack. Brush surface with some butter while is hot. This will give shiny looking buns. (I of course didn't bother with this step lol!)

7. Enjoy the fruit of your hard labour, in this case, delicious, soft bread:P  The almond did not come through so I would add more next time.
       

I am linking this post to International Yeasted Recipe organised by Kristy of My Little Space .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!