I bought a piece of nice looking pork belly a couple of weeks ago with the good intention of cooking this pork belly for dinner but somehow got postponed until yesterday, I finally took it out from the freezer to thaw. No more excuse to procrastinate once thawed! I reread the pinned recipe and wondered why I did not cook this earlier as it was quite a simple recipe. Probably due to the fact that I needed to do the sugar caramelizing. But it was quite easy....just put on low fire and wait for the sugar to melt before adding pork.
Let's take a look at the recipe...
Pork belly with caramelized sugar and garlic
adapted from Nasi Lemak Lover
1kg pork belly (sliced into bite sizes)
4 tbsp light soy sauce
3 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp Chinese rice wine
Water (I used 1 cup)
3-4 cloves Garlic (chopped finely)
|Add the rest of the ingredients and pork once sugar has melted|
1. Place sugar in a heavy-bottomed pan and cook over low flame. Stir it from time to time until sugar melts and turns golden brown (do not overcook, as it will taste bitter)
2. Add in pork meat, stir frying until meat turn opague.
3. Then add in water, vinegar, light soy sauce and wine and simmer with lid on for 40 mins or until meat is tender and liquid has reduced to almost dry.
4. Add in chopped garlic, continue to cook on medium heat till sauce thickens.
5. Dish out (leave the excess oil). Best served with white rice.