Naffnang

Followers

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Bakewell Tart



I got this recipe from the book called Biscuits Baking and Cakes which I have bought from way back and just love to flip through and drool over the photos.  Since we are now experiencing the monsoon season and getting plenty of rain everyday, I decided to stay home and bake instead of getting out and about in the wet weather. This is the result…I had it with a hot bowl of red bean soup for lunch and it was awesome!


 The recipe if you want to try it:-

Ingredients for pastry:
175g plain flour
pinch of salt
60g butter, cut into small pieces
50g shortening cut into small pieces
2 small egg yolks, beaten

For the filling:
125g butter, melted
125g ground almonds
2 large eggs, beaten
few drops of almond essence
2 tablespoons of your favourite jam  (I used apricot jam)


 Method:
1. Preheat oven to 200 C/400F.  Place flour and salt in the food processor and blend in butter and shortening in short burst until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.  You can use your fingers to rub in the butter and shortening if you like.
2.  Add the egg yolks with enough water to make a soft, pliable dough.  Knead lightly on a floured surface then chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes before rolling out the pastry to line a 9 inch loose bottomed tart pan. I used a 6 inch pan and 2 pieces in 4.5 inches pan. Keep the pastry pan in the fridge after you had line the pastry. This will make spreading the jam easier.
3.  For the filling, mix together the melted butter, sugar, almonds and beaten eggs and add the essence.
4.  Spread jam onto the base of the pastry and pour in the filling. Sprinkle some almond slices on the top and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Unmould when cooled and serve.

Spread with apricot jam
Pour in the almond batter
Moist and delicious! You could ice it but I think it is already delicious on its own


I'm submitting this post to Cook-Your-Books #7 hosted by Joyce from Kitchen Flavours


I am also linking to Bizzy Bakes: My Meatless Mondays hosted by Chaya.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!