Naffnang

Followers

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Topo Map Lemon/Vanilla Buttercake


When I saw this cake on Wendy's blog, I was very impressed with the beautiful lines on her butter cake I just had to try it out myself! As it was a weekday, I don't have enough time to bake it as I imagine it would require more time to make this outstanding looking cake, I can't wait for the weekend to come by so that I can bake this beautiful cake. Well here it is, not as cleanly divided as Wendy's, I got the chocolate powder all over the kitchen and the cake pan and of course some of it got into the cake surface and stained it too, also I didn't level it smooth enough, creating some "rivers and lakes" on my cake haha!


 See the mess I did to the surface? Oh, and I forgot to take a photo of the chocolate powder layer.
 Cooling on the rack, can't wait to slice into it!
 There it is, so pleased with the beautiful lines, albeit a bit messy!:)
and there are some huge "lakes" like this :P

Well, I am reposting the recipe here for easy reference in case I want to bake this again, you can check out Wendy's blog to drool over her beautiful cake.  I made mine with lemon and vanilla flavors and reduce the flour and sugar slightly.


Ingredients:
250gm butter
250gm sugar (I reduce to 200g)
5 medium eggs
300gm cake flour (I reduced to 280g) +1 tsp baking powder
125ml evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp pandan paste (I substitute with lemon paste and a few drops of yellow color)
Cocoa powder for creating the topo lines (approximately 3 Tbs) (I just pour some into the sieve, and use as needed to cover the cake surface, didn't measure)

1. Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
2. Beat in eggs, one by one, beating well after each addition.
3. Sift half the flour into the butter mixture and beat on low speed until well combined.
4. Mix in the evaporated milk until well combined.
5. Sift the balance of flour into the mixture and beat on low speed until combined.
6. Divide the batter to two. Mix vanilla extract to one part and pandan paste (lemon paste and coloring) to the other.
7. Preheat oven to 160(fan)/180C. Prepare a 8 inch pan, lined at the base. (I used a 7 inch pan, fully lined)
8. Spread 1/2 the pandan batter (or vanilla whichever you prefer) into pan. Level it. 
9. Evenly sift a thin layer of cocoa powder over.
10. Very, very gently, dollop half of the other colour over and gently level it. Repeat the sifting of cocoa powder.
11. Repeat layering with both colours, with the final layer clean (no cocoa powder on top).
12. Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. (I baked mine for 60 minutes as my pan is smaller)
I can't stop admiring this cake lol! I think they are very pretty and also delicious with very fine crumbs.

2 comments:

  1. yes, saw this cake at Wendy's blog too, yours one also very pretty! hope to try this recipe too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, saw this cake at Wendy's blog too, yours one also very pretty! hope to try this recipe too :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!