Naffnang

Followers

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Bake Along # 25 - Brown Sugar Sponge Layer Cake with Creamcheese filling

This is another wonderful recipe taken from the book Okashi, I just love the sponge texture so much that I tried another version and this also produced a very nice bouncy sponge that does not break easily like the regular swiss roll sponge.  This time I did not roll it into a swiss roll but cut the cake into two and sandwich the fillings in between to create a layer cake so that I could submit to the Bake Along 1st Anniversary's theme which is layered cakes. I know this is the most simple of the layer cakes category but I don't think I can make a really complicated one as I am not very good at frosting a cake. So this will have to do lol!
I didn't use the white chocolate filling that goes with this recipe as I had none.  Since cream cheese is white too so I thought it is a good idea to substitute with that. I used the whipped cream method for a lighter version.


Back to the recipe, typing out here for my own reference as I definitely would bake this again...it's light and moist and not oily at all!
For the Brown Sugar Sponge Cake:

40g Pastry Flour (Superfine flour)
15g Rice Flour
40g Unsalted Butter (I used salted, can't taste the salt)
70g Dark Brown sugar  
140g eggs whites (from 4 eggs)
20g castor sugar
90g egg yolks (from 5 eggs)

1. Line a baking pan and heat up oven to 200 Deg C.
2. Melt butter in microwave. set aside.
3. Make meringue by placing egg whites in a clean bowl and beat till foamy, add castor sugar and 1/3 brown sugar and continue beating for a few minutes. Add remaining brown sugar and beat until glossy and stiff peaks form.
4. Add egg yolks and fold lightly.  Add flour and fold gently, followed by melted hot butter and fold till mixed. Pour into cake pan and bake for 10-13 minutes.
5. Unmould immediately and put into a plastic bag to cool complete.
6. To assemble,  cut the cake into two and spread filling on one side before placing another piece on top of the filling.  Chill until filling is firm before slicing and serve.

Whipped cream/cream cheese frosting adapted from Allrecipes

Ingredients

  •   112g cream cheese
  •   100 g white sugar
  •    pinch of salt
  •   1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  •   175ml heavy whipping cream

Directions

  1. In a small bowl beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form; set aside.
  2. In a large bowl combine cream cheese, sugar, salt and vanilla. Beat until smooth, then fold in whipped cream.


I am submitting this to Bake Along 1st Anniversary Celebration co-hosted by Zoe, lena and Joyce. 
Happy 1st Anniversary!

I am linking this post to Bake with Bizzy

2 comments:

  1. Look spongy and love the cream cheese layer , sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colour and texture of the sponge. Thanks for dropping by my blog Jeannie. You have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!