Naffnang

Followers

Sunday, April 22, 2012

pumpkin mantao & a savory stir fry

I went to the market to do my weekly marketing at the wet market and saw lots of pumpkin on sale.   I couldn't resist the bright and cheerful colors of pumpkins and bought half a pumpkin home.  I know it's still way too much for the pumpkin mantao I planned to make when I saw the pumpkins so I thought, why not use the balance to cook a stir fry dish to eat for dinner? I have seen lena of Frozen Wings cooking these in her blog and they looked so delicious...

Steamed pumpkin mantao

I used the recipe from Wendy's blog just like lena, just shaped it in a different way and without the pumpkin fillings.  I have also omitted the sugar as I wanted a savory mantao to eat with a braised pork dish.

I didn't mashed up the pumpkin properly, as you can see there are still pieces of pumpkin visible


but they are soft and fluffy and so delicious eaten with braised pork, great to soak up the delicious gravy!

I am putting the recipe here for easy reference.  You can visit Wendy's and lena's blogs to read further on this recipe....

Ingredients ( adapted from wendy's and lena's blogs)
60gm sugar (omitted)
90gm pumpkin puree
1tsp instant dry yeast
150gm pau flour (used superfine flour)
1tsp double action baking powder
10gm butter

Method:
1.Combine sugar, pumpkin puree and yeast
2.Combine pau flour, double action baki
ng powder and butter and mix to form crumbs.
3.Pour (1) into (2) and mix to form dough
4.Knead dough until smooth and no longer sticky 
5.Let dough proof in a warm place until double in size. Cover it.
6. After proofing, punch down the dough and knead for 2 mins and cut into 6 pieces.
7.Slowly roll each piece up like swiss rolls, and cut into 2 equal pieces.  Put them cut side down on a piece of parchment paper and place on a steaming pan.
8.Cover and let the buns proof for a 2nd time for another 45 mins. Steam on high heat for 12 mins.


Ok, the second pumpkin dish is based on lena's dish and the ingredients are pretty simple.
Looks delicious huh!

Ok, the recipe is as follows, largely adapted from lena's recipe accept that I peeled the pumpkin.
Recipe
Ingredients :
300gms pumpkin, peeled and cut into bite size, you can leave the skin on just like lena
3 cloves garlic
3 shallots
20gm dried shrimps, minced
1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
1/2 tsp- 1tsp brown sugar, to taste (omitted)

Method:
1. Pour some cooking oil into your wok and fry the shallots and garlic till fragrant but not yet golden.  Add the dried shrimps and continue frying for a few minutes until fragrant. Add the pumpkins and about 1/2 cup of water. Simmer, covered, until the pumpkins are cooked.  Add more water as needed to cook the pumpkin until tender. Add oyster sauce and salt to taste.  Stir briefly to combine seasoning.  Plate and garnish with scallion before serving.
 
Enjoy!
Happy Earth Day to all!:D

I am linking this post to Bizzy Bakes.

2 comments:

  1. Next time I must remember to use out of sight pumpkin to make mantou , hehehe..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! ya, bet you could do a better job, I was always in a hurry to get things done, so my end results were always not as nice as I would like them to be.

      Delete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!