Naffnang

Followers

Monday, April 2, 2012

Greentea (Matcha) Castella/Kasutera Cake



Success is sweet! :D The first time I tried making the honey flavored castella, I didn't wrap it up and put in the plastic bag and chill it in the fridge. It also shrank quite a bit because I didn't drop it a few times immediately after the cake is baked. This time I did all these obediently and see what I've got! A very lovely even topped cake that doesn't shrink much and the crumbs are so much better than the first one! I am so happy with it! Thanks to Biren for her first Castella that got many bloggers making it, lol!





I didn't overturn the cake when I wrap it up to keep in the fridge, just use the foil that I bake it in and put the whole cake into a plastic bag. I am afraid that the skin will stick to the wrapper if I overturn it:P
Only a slight shrinkage which is negligible once cut.

 I used 2 tablespoons of greentea powder as sugggested by Biren but the color was still not as dark as I would like it to be..maybe the quality of the greentea powder that I bought was not very good huh?

Anyway, I am putting the recipe here for easy reference for future bakes:D I refer to Cheah (No Frill Recipes)'s recipe to make this cake. I admire her cake very much because it has a very smooth top that I love.

Ingredients :

  • 120 gm bread flour
  • 1 Tbsp  matcha powder
  • 5 egg yolks
  • 5 egg whites
  • 130 gm caster sugar  ( reduced to 120 gm)
  • 20 ml/4 tsp hot water (I used 2 tablespoons)
  • 20 ml/4 tsp honey (I used 2 tablespoons)
Method:
  1. Line an 8 inch pan with aluminium foil and add a piece of parchment paper onto the base of the pan.
  2. Mix the honey with hot water till honey has dissolved.  Set aside. (I used cold water, add the honey and microwave for 20 secs)
  3. Sift the flour with matcha powder, twice to ensure thorough mixing.
  4. In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites at high speed until foamy.  Add in the sugar in 3 batches. Beat till stiff but not dry peaks form.
  5. Add in egg yolks one at a time on low speed until well combined and soft peaks form when the whisk is lifted up.
  6. Add in sifted flour/matcha powder mixture and mix on low speed until just combined and no pockets of flour are visible.
  7. Lastly, add honey mixture and mix on low speed.
  8. Pour batter through a sieve into the prepared cake pan.  Use a spatula to help the thick batter go through the sieve. 
  9. Tap pan on the counter to remove any large bubbles and smooth out the surface with the spatula.
  10. Bake in a preheated oven @ 160 deg.C for 55 mins. till golden brown and test with a skewer till it comes out clean.(I baked mine at 150 deg C for 60 mins.  My oven temperature can be quite hot!)
  11. Take the cake out of the oven and drop the pan on the counter top from about a foot in height to prevent shrinkage, thrice.(I probably did this more than 3 times!)
  12. Cool cake.  Invert cake onto a fresh piece of parchment paper, remove foil and base parchment paper, wrap up with the parchment paper and put the wrapped up cake into a plastic bag and keep chilled in the fridge, upside down, overnight. (I didn't overturn mine)
  13. Cut off the edges of the cake with a serrated knife and slice to pieces to serve.

My cutting has much to be desired but still, enjoy! :D

1 comment:

  1. ah Jeannie love this cake and love the color, look nive:))

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!