Naffnang

Followers

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Pork Meatloaf




I bought some minced pork at the market last weekend and was thinking of using it to make some pork burger patties but I changed my mind after surfing through the blogs and saw so many beautiful meatloaves done by food bloggers so I thought why not I try to bake a meatloaf too? So meatloaf it is ...


Ok, I loosely base my meatloaf on the recipe by Lizzy of That skinny chick can bake, and yes, she's skinny and gorgeous and bakes beautifully too, I am sure you will agree with me:)

As I do not have any beef, I just stick to just pork alone and use some leftover pumpkin bread that I had baked recently. I would love to have the bacon strips adorning the top of the meatloaf too but I do not have any, so it'll have to be just coated with ketchup for this time.

Here's the recipe with my adaption in italic fonts:-

Meatloaf...adapted Lizzy of That skinny chick can bake who adapts from Pat Nixon

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onions
2 garlic cloves, minced
2-3 slices white bead (I used my last couple of pieces of pumpkin bread)
1 cup milk
2 pounds meatloaf mix (equal parts ground beef, ground pork and ground veal) (I used all ground pork)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
Ground black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (I used basil as I do not have parsley in hand)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram (omitted as I have none)
Ketchup
6-8 slices of bacon, partially cooked (omitted as I have none)

Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking pan. Melt butter in a sauté pan, add garlic and sauté until just golden. Let cool.

Dice or grate bread and soak it in milk. In a large mixing bowl, mix ground meat by hand with sautéed onions and garlic and bread pieces. Add eggs, salt, pepper, parsley (basil), thyme and marjoram (omitted) and mix by hand in a circular motion.

Turn this mixture into the baking pan and pat into a loaf shape, leaving at least one inch of space around the edges to allow fat to run off. Brush the top with ketchup and lay strips of bacon across the width of the loaf (omitted).

Preheat the oven to 375º. Bake meatloaf on lower shelf of oven for 1 hour, or until meat is cooked through. Pour off accumulated fat several times while baking and after meat is fully cooked. Let stand on wire rack for five minutes before slicing. Makes 6 servings.


The yellow specks were the pumpkin bread:P
and the leftover meatloaf? I used it to make quesadillas, an idea I got from Biren of Roti And Rice . Turned out really delicious! The wraps were crispy and the soft meatloaf and melting cheese as the filling...heavenly!
So simple too, just hop over to Biren's blog to see the step by step way of cooking this! I know you'll like these!


1 comment:

  1. Your meatloaf looks perfect and the leftovers even better...never thought of making a quesadilla out of leftover meatloaf.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!