Naffnang

Followers

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Beet Bread, It is red!

The first time I baked beet bread, the loaf turned brownish after baking. This time I expected the same to happen but got a wonderful surprise when this loaf maintained it's redness!
See how red it is? I love it! I actually started to roast the beet in the oven before reading the recipe again and realised my mistake. Quickly took them out, cooled and blend the half cooked beet till fine.  I didn't add milk at all and it was still quite tacky!
I score the crust too deep, resulting in very open crossing on the crust!

The recipe was adapted from Taste for Adventure. I was attracted by her fabulous red bread and immediately went into action as I still have 2 beets left over from my beetroot cake project.
I love the crunchy semolina at the bottom of the loaf too

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup warm water
  • 1 1/2 cups raw beet puree (about 2 1/2 peeled medium beets)*
  • 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 cups Gold Medal unbleached all-purpose flour (I used bread flour)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast

Directions

  1. To make the beet puree - peel 2 large beets or 3 medium beets (discarding or reserving 1/2 of one of the 3 beets, so you have 2 1/2 beets), and chop into 1/4-inch pieces. Puree in a food processor with 1/2 cup milk until mixture is smooth and free of lumps. (I roasted the beets by mistake and just blend the half cooked beet till fine)
  2. In a small bowl, combine yeast, sugar and water. Let rest 5 minutes.
  3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fixed with the paddle attachment, combine flour and salt. Add in yeast mixture, beet puree and olive oil. Mix until just combined.
  4. Knead, by hand or in a stand mixer fixed with the dough hook, about 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
  5. Remove risen dough from bowl and shape into a round ball. Place dough on a baking stone or parchment paper-lined baking sheet and cover loosely with a lightly greased piece of plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. (I sprinkled some semolina on the baking sheet to prevent the dough from sticking)
  6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F( (I baked mine at 190 Deg C) with an empty broiler pan placed on the rack beneath where you'll put the baking stone or sheet. Before baking the bread, sprinkle the top with a little flour and make an X shape on the top with a serrated knife. (I did'nt sprinkle the flour at this stage, the flour was from my floured hands during the shaping of the dough)
  7. Place the bread in the oven and pour 1 cup hot water into the broiler pan, closing the oven door immediately. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted in the bottom center of the loaf reads 190 degrees F. (I just tap the loaf when the time is up and listened for the hollow sound.  If you can hear the hollow sound while tapping, it's done.)
                                       I enjoyed this bread with nutella and cheese spread for lunch!

 And as a very satisfying sandwich for dinner.


Made a great sandwich for dinner tonight!

I am linking this to Bizzy Bakes 

1 comment:

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!