Naffnang

Followers

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Beet and Apple Semolina Cake


I was very intrigued when I saw this cake in Easily Good Eats...the combination of flavors sounds pretty unusual to me plus his photo on the cake looks so wonderfully pretty that got me to bookmark this cake immediately.  Well, this weekend, I saw some really fresh beetroot at the market and bought some for this cake. I roasted the diced beet with a little olive oil before adding to the cake batter. Next time I would add more beet like he did as you can see mine has too little beet to look pretty:P
The recipe is pretty simple and easy to put together:-


Ingredients
75 grams butter, margarine or oil
100ml + 1 tablespoon sugar
100 ml flour, sifted
100 ml semolina
1½ teaspoon baking powder
50ml yogurt (substituted with sour cream)
2 eggs
1 apple, cored and sliced (peeling is optional)
1 beetroot, cooked and diced (I diced and roasted the beet)
I love the pink stains on the batter!
Directions
1. Heat oven to 175 degrees and grease a 24cm cake tin (I used 2 small loaf pans)
2. Cream butter and 100ml sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix well
3. In a separate bowl mix flour, semolina and baking soda.
4.  Add the flour mixture together with beetroot and yogurt to the butter mixture. Mix well until combined
5. Pour the cake batter in the cake tin
6. Add 1 tablespoon sugar to the apple slices and mix. Arrange apple slices on top of the batter.(I omitted the sugar)
7. Bake until cake is done, about 30 minutes. A skewer should come out clean.

 The texture is crumbly because of the crunchy semolina...really delicious!

Especially great with a cup of milk tea which I received from Sonia of Nasi Lemak Lover who kindly sent me 5 sachets to try recently with her give away:) 

Thanks again Sonia, I enjoyed the tea very much and will definitely buy this new product. Love the cute thumb drive too! 

3 comments:

  1. I think it's a gorgeous cake...seems like an odd combo to me too. I've never added beets to baking. I've never heard of milk tea either. I don't think we can get it here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I m sure I let a message before, here i go again, I love semolina to bake and love this recipe:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never taste a cake with Semolina , must buy some to try out soon . Glad you enjoying the teh Tarik , my daughter everyday must have a cup, hehehe .

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!