Baked this cake especially for the Bake Along # 21 which featured this Fresh Strawberry Cake with White Chocolate Chips Cake. As I did not have chips, I made do by chopping up some chocolate bars. Unfortunately, I must have chopped them too fine as the chocolates disappeared after baking! I would reduce the sugar by half if I were to make this cake again as the chocolates add more sweetness to the cake! A very moist cake due to the strawberries added and also the sourcream and I followed the recipe found at this blog, All That's Left Are The Crumbs, where she was baking from Lauren Chattman's cookbook, Cake Keeper Cakes. Her cake looked much nicer than mine:)
I was quite reluctant to chop up the strawberries as they were very luscious and sweet:P
Those white spots were the only sign that white chocolates were added lol!
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease an 8 inch square baking pan and dust it with flour, knocking out the excess.
- Combine the egg, egg yolk, sour cream, lemon zest and vanilla in a large measuring jug and beat lightly.
- Combined 1¼ cups of flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Combine the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and cream with an electric whisk on medium high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides when necessary.
- With the mixer on medium low speed, pour the egg mixture into the bowl in a slow stream, stopping the mixer once or twice to scrape down the bowl.
- Turn the mixer to low speed and add the flour mixture, ½ cup at a time. After the last addition mix for 30 seconds on medium speed.
- Combine the strawberries and remaining ¼ cup flour in a medium bowl and toss to coat.
- Fold the flour covered berries along with the chocolate chips into the batter using a spatula.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake the cake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes.
- Let the cake cool ion the pan for about 5 minutes, invert it onto a wire rack and then turn it right side up to cool completely.
- Cut into squares and serve.
Now let's hop over to the rest of the Bake Along participants and see their delicious bakes!