Naffnang

Followers

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Fresh Pear and Pecan Cake


I had four pears leftover from Chinese new year (yes, that long!) occupying space in my fridge and looked about to rot soon so I thought I'd better do something about them before it's too late! Google came out with several recipes for pear and finally settled on this pear cake which was pretty simple to put together, more like muffin than cake I would say from the way it was prepared. Taste wise, it did taste more like muffin than  cake but very moist due to the pear studs distributed all over the cake and of course, the spices made the cake very fragrant too! Quite satisfied with the results:)

Fresh Pear & Pecan Cake
Adapted from Allrecipes

Ingredients:

660 g peeled, cored and chopped pears
400 g white sugar (I reduce to 300g)
375 g sifted all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves (I omit this)
4 egg whites
160 ml canola oil
110 g chopped pecans

 Directions:

1. Combine the pears and the sugar and let stand for one hour. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
2. Spray a 10 inch bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray. I used my silicon mould so skip this step.
3. Slightly beat the egg whites and combine them with the oil, chopped pecans and pear mixture.
4. Stir togetherness the flour, salt, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves. Stir in the pear mixture.
5. Pour batter into the prepared bundt pan. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
This recipe yielded one 10inch bundt cake and 2 muffin size cakes. See the pieces of pear? So moist and delicious! I chopped the pecans too fine, that's why you can't really see or taste them:P  I prefer to eat mine warm; the spices were more prominent:D
I am linking this post to Bizzy Bakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!