Naffnang

Followers

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Rice Cake - stir fried with pork and prawns

I was browsing in a provision shop last Saturday, and came across this rice cake being sold there.  I had eaten this in restaurants before but had not tried cooking it myself, so I thought why not I give this a try since it was a long weekend and this rice cake needed to be soaked overnight before cooking.



It's  quite a common dish here in my town but I had yet to see it being served in restaurants in the city or other states. I wondered why? It was quite delicious, with a chewy texture not unlike pasta.

The common ingredients to cook this dish is leek, pork and prawns but since I do not have leek at home, I omit it and add red capsicum instead. Should have added more thick soya sauce for a darker look like those served at restaurants:P

Anyway, this is how I cook this dish:-
Prepared rice cake ready for cooking

Ingredients:-

500g Rice cake, soaked overnight then boil in water till al dente then immediately run cold water over it
200g lean pork, sliced as thin as you could
Half of a red capsicum or leek, sliced
1 tablespoon of dried shrimps
3 large cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
2 tablespoons dark soya sauce (could use more if you like your dish to look darker)
about 4-5 tablespoons of vegetable oil
about 2 cups water or more if you like it with plenty of sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Marinate the pork with:

1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon Shaoxing wine (chinese wine)
a dash of sesame oil
a pinch of salt

Method:

Heat oil in wok and briefly fry garlic and shrimps till slightly golden. Add marinated pork and give it a quick stir. Add prawns, stir briefly.  Add 1 cup of water, oyster sauce and dark soya sauce and stir to combine.  Add the prepared rice cake and capsicum and quickly stir fry to combine all ingredients. Add more water if it's too dry and keep stirring until rice cake is cooked.  Add salt and pepper to taste and dish out and serve immediately.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!