Naffnang

Followers

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Zucchini Cake

I am enjoying my 9 days holiday at home and spending some me time all by myself today:D How nice it is to be able to just forget about cooking a meal and bake whatever I want in my kitchen without anyone getting in my way:D Today, I decide to bake a zucchini cake since I have a yellow zucchini in my fridge, looking like it won't last for much longer!
I surf around in the internet and finally found this blog which has a most delicious looking zucchini cake!
It looks simple enough and the ingredients are all in my pantry except for the ground ginger, which I have omitted. Everything comes together effortlessly, even grating the zucchini is easy unlike grating tapioca!

This cake turned out very moist and soft with a very tight crumb....very delicious!


Zucchini Cake adapted from My German Kitchen


Ingredients:
135g almonds, pecans or walnuts, toasted (I use almonds)
280g flour (I used only 250g)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp freshly ground ginger (I omit this)
1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
3 large eggs room temperature
350g sugar (I use 200g)
250ml extra-virgin olive oil (I use corn oil)
2 tsp vanilla extract
300 g finely grated zucchini (I squeeze out the juice from the zucchini)


For lemon glaze (I didn't glaze my cake)
60 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
65g granulated sugar
140g powdered sugar


Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 10 cup (2.5L) bundt or tube cake pan with non-stick spray or butter, dust with flour and tap out excess (I bake mine in 2 loaf pans).
Grind nuts in food processor until fine.
In a medium bow,. sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.  Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs, sugar and oil for 3 minutes on medium speed, until light and fluffy.  Stop and scrape down the mixer then add vanilla.  Mix in the dry ingredients then beat for 30 second before stirring in the nuts and zucchini.
Scrape the batter into the prepared cake pans, smooth the top and then bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until the toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the cake has begun to pull away from the sides of the pans.
During the last few minutes of the cake baking, make the glaze by whisking together the lemon juices, granulated sugar and powdered sugar.  Let the cake cool for 10 minutes before carefully invert it on a cooling rack.  Brush the glaze over the cake with a pastry brush and let the cake cool completely.
Don't forget to adjust the baking time if baking in 2 loaf pans.  I bake mine for 45 minutes.


I love this with a cup of my favorite coffee:D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!