Naffnang

Followers

Monday, May 2, 2011

Macarons with Lemon Curd fillings

Macarons or macaroons are tricky little morsels of very sweet meringue like cookies usually with our favourite fillings. People who have very sweet tooth will love these. I have tried making them twice before getting something that resembles feet. The first time was a total failure because no feet at all!  These photos showed the much better batch.  After piping the macarons on to the baking tray, you have to leave it in a cool place to dry out the surface before baking at very low heat.


 
See the feet? :D

The ingredients needed are very few for this basic macarons. I used the french meringue method.
This recipe is adapted from The Flavours magazine:-

Ingredients:-

For the shell:
150g icing sugar
100g Almond meal
75g egg white
30g caster sugar

Method:
In a blender, process the icing sugar and ground almonds until fine. Then sieve and put aside.
Using a stand mixer, whip the egg white on medium to high speed, adding the sugar gradually until stiff peaks
form.

With a spatula, fold in the sifted icing sugar/ground almonds until you get a slightly soft mass, Fill a piping bag with the mixture and pipe out circles of about 3-4 cm diameter on a silicon mat or silicon paper-lined baking tray. Set aside for 10 minutes to allow the shells to dry slightly. I left it near the air condition to speed up the drying.

Bake at 155 degC for 12 to 15 minutes, depending on your oven heat - half way through the baking time, open the oven door slightly to allow steam to escape then close and continue baking.

Lemon curd filling:-

Ingredients:-

Juice of 1.5 lemon
75g caster sugar
20g corn starch
2 eggs
75g butter, cubed

Method:

Place all ingredients except butter in a sauce pan and cook over a over moderate heat until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the cubed butter slowly until combined and smooth.  Strain into a bowl and cover with a plastic film and chill before use.



These little sophisticated cookies have a contracting crispy upper crust and melting centre...heaven for those with very sweet tooth, otherwise don't bother to make these!



37 comments:

  1. you're also into macarons! they look pretty good!i'm very sure that soon you'll be expert in this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot pipe. But I can appreciate and I would love these tasty morsels. Love the idea of the lemon curd to offset the sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeannie, well done! Your maccroons look awesome. I have made them once very sucessfully but i think they're too sweet. Yes, macaroons making is very tricky! And yours turned out great.
    Hope you're having a great day.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! They look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! And with beautiful feet! Excellent combination with the lemon curd as that will cut through the sweetness of the cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look perfect and just delightful with the lemon curd filling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look perfect and the filling looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well as they say practice makes perfect. These ones look very professional and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so perfect! The feet and the shell, all in perfection! Oh when should I start practicing, I'm so intimidated yet love it so much :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your macs look fabulous and I love the lemon filling...I still have to try to make macs...they look light and perfect. Have a great week Jeannie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. just found your blog and boy am I glad I did! These macaroons look scrumptious!!!
    xo,
    Mini Baker :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your meringues turned out excellent! Perfect! I hope mine turn out as well when I get brave enough to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great! I have yet to try my hand at making macarons.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking really good there!

    I need to use up my egg white soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so jealous of those who can make nice macarons, these look amazing Jeannie! Well done, and I'm sure the ones that looked like feet would have tasted lovely anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i always can't seem to make this right. Good Job!



    Papacheong
    http://home-cook-dishes-for-family.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hats off to you, Jeannie! I helped my girl made these and both of us agreed that once is enough!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh gimme, please - love the lemon curd oozing from the center- too tempting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the lemon curd filling. perfect with the sugary almond shells.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I recently made my first set of macarons, and then another and another!!! I think I love them. The first set was FAR too sweet, but my daughter loved them. I'm thinking that lemon would be an ideal flavor. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look amazing. I tried making macarons before but they were kind of peaked and cracked on top. These inspire me to go back in using your recipe!!
    Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  22. They look so cute!!! I have to try making them at home!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look mouth watering! Delicious!
    Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful cake. Big, big favorite. http://usubufood.blogspot.com/2011/05/savanyu-maj.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love lemon curd so these macarons with lemon cur are heavenly! x gloria

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your macs are picture perfect, Jeannie. Filling them with lemon curd is a wonderful idea. They could have come right out of a patisserie in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm not that fond of overly sweet treats but I still would love to try making these. They're so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think they look fantastic! And they sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Perfect feet! I've never tried to make macaroons myself because I think it is too sweet for me..

    ReplyDelete
  30. OMG, get the door ajar hafl way through might be the key to get my macarons right, thanks for the tips!^^

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!