Naffnang

Followers

Friday, May 27, 2011

Lavender & Orange Cake (Flour Free)

My very first flour free cake! I never thought I would try this as I am not allergic to flour. The reason I am baking this cake is because I have too much left over almond meal sitting in my fridge from grinding whole almonds for making macarons.  I actually managed to collect quite a lot so you can imagine how many times I have been baking macarons huh? The cake turned out surprisingly moist and soft.  The orange/lemon/cinnamon syrup that I used to glaze the top also adds a delicious spicy tanginess to this cake...




This is a pretty easy cake to put together. Not necessary to use the mixer at all!

Recipe (adapted from Home Bake by Eric Landlard)

Ingredients:
150ml corn or vegetable oil
170g almond meal
100g caster sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
4 eggs
finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
finely grated zest of 1/2 orange
1 tsp dried lavender

Sauce:
Juice of the lemon and orange
60g sugar or more if you prefer it sweeter
1 tsp cinnamon
1 few cloves (I omit this)

Preheat oven to 180 Deg C and grease and line a 6 inch baking pan. in a mixing bowl, combine almonds, sugar and baking powder.  Gently whisk to combine.  Add the eggs and the oil and stir to mix.

Add the zests and the dried lavender and whisk to mix. Pour into prepared baking pan and bake for 40-45 mins.  Cover the top with foil if the cake turns too brown.

Prepare the sauce by putting all ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to boil and then simmer for 3 minutes.
Cool and when cake is ready, turn it out onto a serving plate, poke several holes on the top of the cake with a sharp knife or skewer, spoon the sauce over the cake and allow it to be absorbed.  Keep leftover sauce to be served on individual servings if desired.



Had this with a cup of my favorite coffee while watching the sun rise in the morning sky.... the best time of the day for me!:D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!