Naffnang

Followers

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Bread Pudding

I was blog hopping around last night when I came across this delicious bread pudding in Food Glorious Food here and since I still have 3 buns left over from yesterday's bake, I immediately set about making this pudding for dinner:P I know, I don't eat dinner in a normal way like everyone does but I was alone so, I just eat whatever pleases me without having to worry about the rest for once....bliss!


.
 Right out of the oven! Looks and smells so good! I sprinkled some almond crumbs on the top instead of sugar as I figured the buns I used were sweet enough....
 The leftover lonely bun lol! Used only 2 to make this pudding

Ok, here's the recipe which I have adapted to smaller portion.  I bake this in the smallest baking casserole dish that I could find, which is about 6 inches.
 The ingredients are as follows:-

For the pudding
 

2 medium sized buns or 1/4 loaf of bread, cut  into 1 inch squares (I didn't toast them)
1 cup milk 
1 large egg 
1/4 cups brown sugar or more if you wish
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp ground cinnamon 

30g  raisins
1/3 cup walnuts - coarsely crushed (I substituted with 40g of almond crumbs instead)

1 tbsp coarse grain sugar (omitted)


For Creme Anglaise (custard sauce)

 
65g sugar

1/4 tsp vanilla essence
250ml milk
2 egg yolks

Method:
For the pudding
1)   Preheat oven at 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C.
2)   Arrange bread into a  6" x 6" casserole dish as neatly as possible. I did not grease it and it still turned out fine.
3)   Combine milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon in a bowl. Whisk to mix  then pour into the casserole dish.
4)   Press the bread into the liquid mixture to ensure the bread is well soaked.
5)   Sprinkle raisins and almond crumbs over the top.
6)   Bake for 30 minutes until the top is nicely golden brown.

For the custard sauce
1. Bring milk to boil with vanilla essence in a sauce pan.
2. Cream egg yolks and sugar with a hand whisk till creamy.
3. Pour boiled milk into the egg mixture slowly, stirring constantly to prevent curdling.
4. Pour custard back into the  sauce pan and cook over low heat; keep stirring with a wooden spoon.  The custard is done when it coats the back of the wooden spoon (nape consistency).
5. Strain the cooked custard sauce and keep chill covered with a cling film touching the surface until needed. 

  Ahh...there it is...now dinner is served! :D The almond crumbs provides the crunch to this delicious pudding!
Yes! Just perfect! Dessert was a cup of coffee served with a piece of  biscotti that I had made some time ago...still fresh and crunchy! ......burp:)

Happy Wesak Day to all who celebrates!

28 comments:

  1. wish i can go over your place to try all these foods..YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pudding is so tempting! I'd love to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!!! It looks great and has to be delicious! A perfect dinner! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks amazing, and so does the shape of the bun, so cute! It would be perfect with coffee, I agree! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious and comforting! Why not bread pudding for dinner...sounds good to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love bread pudding and that sauce? divine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm.... bread pudding for dinner? What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeannie, this sounds so good. I adore bread pudding and would love a small piece of yours. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clever! Never tried making it with sweet buns!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had me on that creme anglais over there. Love this bread pudding, looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum, what a scrumptious way to use up leftover bread. I would love this for any meal of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jeannie, my kids are much addicted to bread pudding these days especially my girl. ha... Yours look really tempting and so is the bread and biscotti.
    Hope you're having a good day ahead.
    Blessings, Krist
    p/s Happy Wesak day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your bread pudding looks soooo amazing, especially with the creamy custard sauce and crunchy almond crumbs, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The pudding looks divine! My husband would definitely love this for his supper.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good lah, can use leftover bread!

    Happy Wesak Day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, love your bread pudding...specially the almond topping...yummie! Hope you are having a great week Jeannie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks wonderful ! I think I may have to try it soon!I love bread pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful and tempting pudding and custard sauce, a must-try recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Jeannie, wow! You one creative lady.
    Looks delicious. Can practically get the lovely scent here too.
    You're a good photographer too. Love the display and angles.

    I guess you're an easy lady to please where food is concerned, huh? Not choosy, fussy whatever, ha ha.
    Hmmmm, where were you when I was handing out my resume? Ha ha h, just kidding.
    You have a nice day, keep a song in your heart.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such an amazing way to use any left over bread!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What is it about bread pudding that instantly makes you feel warm and snuggly inside? Picture perfect! The creme anglaise just heightens it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That picture of the bread pudding with the custard sauce is divine. :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. simply awesome and mouth watering Bread Pudding

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!