Naffnang

Followers

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Pulut Tai Tai (Glutinous Rice Pudding)


 First you soak 1/3 of the glutinous rice in the blue water and the remaining 2/3 in normal water for at least 4 hours or over night.
 Ready for steaming
 Unmold when cooled, and this is what you get, nicely marbled effect of glutinuous rice
Cut it into any shape you like, scoop a spoonful of kaya on top and enjoy!

The recipe goes like this...

500g of glutinous rice
250ml coconut milk
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon sugar
about 60 buds blue pea flowers or substitute with a few drops of blue food dye
Enough water to soak rice in
Pandan leaves
Banana leaves

Method;


Line a 7 inch square tin or 3 x 9 inch loaf pan with softened banana leaf. Set aside.

Soak the flowers in a cup of hot water and squeeze out the pulp when the water is blue enough. Soak 1/3 of prewash glutinous rice in the blue water (add water until the rice is fully covered).  Soak the balance rice in plain water. Soak rice for at least 4 hours or overnight.

Mix salt and sugar in the coconut milk. 

Drain both the rice and put both into a steaming pan as shown above, add 2/3 of the coconut milk mixture and steam on high fire for 15 minutes.  Remove the pan from the steamer, fluff up the rice and mix till you get the marble effect, add the remaining coconut milk and return the pan to steamer to continue steaming for another 10 minutes or until the rice is cooked.

Pour the rice into the prepared pan and press into the pan evenly. Use another similar size pan as a weight to compress the rice. Cool completely before unmoulding and cut into desired shaped.

Serve with kaya. The recipe for kaya is as follows:-

Kaya (adapted from Sonia's blog)

Ingredients :

3 large eggs (lightly beaten)
250g caster sugar
350ml coconut milk
8 pcs pandan leaves (screwpine leaves)

Steps:-


Mixture A - Blend pandan leaves and coconut milk in a blender. Strain to discard pulp.
Mixture B - Add sugar into beaten eggs, using a hand whisk to stir mixture until sugar dissolves (Do not beat, just gently stir, you do not want to create bubbles for this jam)

1. Add mixture A into mixture B, stir to mix, strain to get rid of lumps and your kaya mixture is ready to be cooked.
2. Use a double boiler to cook this jam (stainless steel preferred). Alternatively, you can place stainless steel mixing bowl over another pot of boiled water on low heat, stir kaya mixture occasionally.(Do not stop too long, 1-2mins intervals)
4. You need to cook at least 1 hour to achieve the desired thickness. Cool completely before storing in a clear jar. Keep refrigerated.







20 comments:

  1. Yummy! I love this pulut, and how I wish I can find those flower here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss pulut tai tai. Can't get the blue pea flowers here. Have to resort to food coloring but the color is not the same. I love the marble effect of your pulut tai tai. That must be pandan kaya...very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi,

    I love this pulut.It's sooo yummy!!Nyonya people also named it PULUT TEKAN.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeannie, I love everything that is made with glutinous rice, but have to admit that never had a chance to try this...looks yummie :-) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm actually quite fond of these kuihs maybe due to its attractive blue. I think the ones selling outside mostly use blue colouring instead but i dont mind, it still goes very nice with the kaya. Yours look truly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely kuih kuih! Used to have bunga telang growing like a wild bush along my corridors which flower prolifically. But then my mum trimmed back everything and suddenly it decided not to grow anymore. :(

    Thanks for sharing the recipe of this kuih!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a unique and beautiful recipe! Thank you for sharing, for creating, and for inspiring me to remember all the beauty and good in this world. Many blessings tomorrow and in the days to come this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want those pea flower too! The colour looks awesome. I wonder my friend have them. Must ask them for some. haha... Ya, I'm very thick skin! haha... Hope you're enjoyigng your day.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow i didn't know u could get natural blue dyes like this!! i love dying my food with natural products! ;) love love asian desserts like this....totally make my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful treat! Love the blue color, and so good topped with kaya too! Thanks for this special recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty! Must get some blue dye!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that the color is traditionally from a flower. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never thought to color rice like this. How fun! I showed my kids and they loved it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been looking for these blue flowers as well! Lucky that you got some :) Would love to use your recipe to make it once I get some!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved the marble effect on the rice. Blue is one of my favorite colors! Beautiful presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  16. how super cool and how so brand new for me - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! looks and sounds delicious! I never would've thought to dye it to give it the beautiful marble look. Thanks so much for sharing! =]

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would love to add some salt to the glutinous rice too. This is so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the natural blue colour from the flower! This pulut tai tai looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love glutinous rice sweets! And if you haven't tried to bake a quiche let me tell you that I have never tried to cook glutinous rice. Your entry is so yummy, makes me want to try it myself. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!