Naffnang

Followers

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Charcoal Swirl Bread and awards

I had been eating lots of cakes for lunch lately so I thought I'd better eat something with less butter for a change... better give the heart a rest and eat something healthier huh! Well, as usual, I am always on the lookout for new interesting looking recipes to try out and so I started blogs hopping.  I usually made a decision to bake something from the beautiful photos posted by bloggers.  The one at lena's blog, frozen wings, caught my eyes this time, with the very nice green tea bread loaf of hers.  The portion was just nice for a me, not too big, can finish in a day or two.  I substituted green tea powder with charcoal powder instead as that was what I had left in my pantry. 
 
 Could have shaped this into a panda loaf but too lazy :P
There...ready to proof for an hour...I did this in the evening, so I took the quick way, i.e. heated up the oven, and left the door open to let the heat fill the kitchen...this way the dough rose pretty quickly! It was ready in 30 minutes. What did I do while waiting? I sweated it out on the threadmill.:D

Cooling on the rack...left it there the whole night to cool

Next morning, cut up, slathered on butter, top with a piece of cheese and it's ready to go into the lunchbox.  I am chewing on those sandwiches as I type.

I was presented with this award for trying her bread recipe....kidding...lol! Just a coincident that I was making this bread when I saw to my delight that she has given me this award:) Thanks a lot, lena, I love it...


And then, Ah Tze from Away of Mind, came in and informed that she too has a beautiful award waiting for me to collect from her blog, lucky me!:D  I love Ah Tze's blog with the photo of her little boy sitting in the drawer as her blog's header, I find that so cute! And of course, I love her blog for her wonderful creations and beautiful photograhy too. I am still drooling over her latest creation, Orange Honey Bread, the photos fill my screen literally!

And with awards, there are the usual rules and regulations that one must abides to... they are:-

1.Post linking back to the person that gave you the award


2.Share 7 random things about yourself

3.Award 15 recently discovered blogs

4.Drop them a note and tell them about it.

Well the first one was easy, it's done.  Rule # 2, a bit long winded but I have done that too! You can read about it here.
Rule # 3, ok, I need to present these awards to 15  recently discovered blogs (does that means I can't link the older blogs that I have been following?), right, they are as follows:-
 
1) Brittany of les reves d'unes boulangere
2) Lisa of Sweet As Sweet Sugar Cookies
3) Min of Honest Vanilla
4) Sandra of Sandra's Easy Cooking
5) Vivienne of Green Cilantro
6)Pete of PeteFormationFoodieVenture
7) Ping of Ping Sweet Memories
8) Sues and Chels of We are not Martha
9) Marty of The Thymes
10) Zoe of Bake for happy kids
11)Bridgett of La Bella Cook
12) Uncle Lee of A Moonlight Rendezvous
13) Lindsey of Gingerbread Bagels
14) Katerina of Culinary Flavors
15) Monet of anecdotes and apple cores 

Ok newly discovered blogging folks, please feel free to come collect any one of the awards or even both of them if you like... I hope to see you all again soon! Cheers! :D

56 comments:

  1. What a sight for sore eyes - Lovely Lovely Lovely
    But where is the recipe? I am not able to see it- I cannot wait to try this in my kitchen to WOW my kids...
    Please do respond on my blog - Thank you and your bread picture is a very cute start to my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And your awards are well deserved- wish you MANY more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very wise meatball once said: GIRL, YOU ARE ONE GOOOOD BAKER!

    And congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, you know how to make a panda loaf? yesterday i saw someone making it , kinda cute! hey btw, it's frozen wings, not broken wings lah! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jeannie, I love your this charcoal swirl bread. Never seen one before. Bet they taste real good too.
    Can I put marmalade on it? Ha ha.
    Make this at a party and you'll be surrounded with friends how to make it, better make 3, sure to be polished off fast too.

    Thank you for the award. I really appreciate your kind gesture, Jeannie.
    Thanks for remembering my blog.
    You have a pleasant weekend.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the charcoal powder swirl. But the powder sold in Singapore is quite expensive :(

    Lena: I am the one who make Panda loaf yesterday lah.. Kekeke ;P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Jeannie, thank you so much! I'm so flattered :) And very very happy! Your charcoal swirl bread took much of my attention instead, hehe... I didn't know there is such a thing as charcoal powder, where do you get them?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This bread is so impressive! I'm glad to see some step-by-step images so I can understand how you've created this beautiful bread.

    Also, well done on your award. You deserve it! And thank you so much for passing it on to me. I'm very pleased to have found your blog, and I look forward to following it throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful, just like Lena's green tea loaf. Now I have to check out the Panda loaf. I am in awe of all you bakers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my - do you ever bake lovely creations. This is so enticing. COngrats on the well-deserved awards!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Truly the most beautiful looking loaf I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now Serving....the recipe can be found in lena of frozen wing, I just substitute green tea for charcoal powder.

    lena, my bad, so sorry for the mistake, going to correct it now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tried panda bread and it is not that easy, your loaf of bread look fantastic..so beautiful, and piece of art!
    Congrats on the award, and thanks so much for remembering me! I am honored and will accept it with a pleasure!Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on your well deserved awards, Jeannie! And your bread looks fantastic. Btw, I thought Lena has changed her header title to Broken Wings! haha.. Have a great day.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  15. That bread looks so awesome, and kind of psychedelic! I love the swirl pattern in the pieces. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved the look of the bread....very new to me..

    And Congrats on the awards :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kristy...I have corrected it, I think I need to change my glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Charcoal powder in bread is new to me but it does look impressive. Congrats on your awards!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on your award and thanks for passing it on to me. That bread is incredible. I just love that two toned look.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on the award...I've never heard of cooking with charcoal powder, but the effect is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on the award and thank so much for passing it onto me! Very flattered about that!

    Your charcoal swirl is just about the most interesting thing i've seen in a long long time! i only knew the japanese use charcoal for facial masks and soaps - had no idea you can buy them in edible powder form! love the bold colour contrast!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jeannie...thank you, thank you for the award...Gosh, am still new with blogging and didn't even know awards existed....silly me....Thank you so much for passing it to me. Really appreciate it! ^^

    By the way, what's the best charcoal powder you always use?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Jeannie, thks for the award. Have a nice weekend with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Jeannie, your panda bread has inspired me to use my charcoal powder again. Thanks so much for the award. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are so precious! Thank you for sharing this award with me. I'm touched. And your bread looks and sounds DELICIOUS. So inspiring! Thank you for sharing this swirly loaf. I hope you have a beautiful Friday. The weekend is nearly here!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Min.... I am sure you can get charcoal powder at your local baking supplies store.

    Ping.... I can understand how you felt, I am still learning as I go along and there is only one type of charcoal powder available here and it's expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have yet to try baking with charcoal powder, you swirl look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Jeannie congratulations on your awards and thanks so much for including me to your list too. I will include them in my next post!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Aww thank you for the award! This bread is seriously stunning! I love making my own bread, but it rarely looks as pretty as this one :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  30. Absolutely loving the stunning contrast of this swirl bread. Congrats with the awards. Well deserved

    ReplyDelete
  31. Jeannie, that's a lovely creation. Have yet to try baking with charcoal powder.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congrats on the awards! Thank you for giving me an award.

    Wow I love the way this bread looks, I've never seen anything like it before! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. MMMMMM,...That coloured bread looks so amazing, stunning & beautiful too, dear Jeannie!

    Congrats on your 2 latest awards!! So well deserved for you & the others too! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Everytime I see a post on a swirly bread I can't help myself! I'd go OOOOoooo... and AAAAaaaa.... it's just SOOO pretty in fact why have a NORMAL bread when they can be swirls in it?! This is another one that made me go oooo aaaa.... love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Simply beautiful colours...!! And the swirls are perfect :D).

    ReplyDelete
  36. I see this is how to make swirl bread. Want to give this method a try. Haha...I'm just a newbie is bread making.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Lovely! I've seen charcoal powder used in a lot of baked goods, time to hunt for some!

    ReplyDelete
  38. congrats! the bread looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Congratulations on your well-deserved awards. You really have a lovely blog and deserve all the accolades that come your way. Your bread looks wonderful. I'm off to research charcoal powder. I have not heard of it before. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  40. Smart adaptation with charcoal powder, no doubt you should win these awards.
    By the way, thanks for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  41. A gorgeous bread, loving the swirl with the charcoal powder, so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  42. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Jeannie, the bread swirl look so lovely! The colour of the bread makes me think of Panda too...hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  44. Your bread is very impressive. Love the perfect swirl. Got to try making this bread too.

    Congrats for your award and thanks for passing the ward to me. I'm very honored to be on your award list.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Oh my gosh, this bread is so cool! I've never even heard of charcoal powder. I wonder if we can get it here. I don't think I could get my bread to turn out this pretty but I'd love to try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Me too congrates on your well deserved awards!
    Lovely bread!I like the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Such a pretty bread !!! This will be my next attempt but have to wait till I get some charcoal powder first :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Congrats on your award!!! You have a very lovely blog and wonderful recipes. This bread looks wonderful!

    xx,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  49. Congratulations on your awards and that bread looks so pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Congrats on our awards! You sure deserve them. Your loaf looks very interesting to me...with charcoal! First time I see this. Wonder how it tastes like.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Thank you so much for passing the award along! Your bread looks so interesting that I would love to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Wow thank you so much for posting this I definitely need to make it.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  53. WOW..that is a seriously cool looking bread!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!