Naffnang

Followers

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Reunion Lunch for Chinese New Year

In our home, we have always practised having our reunion meal during lunch instead of the traditional dinner...simply because after cooking and offering prayers to the Gods and ancestors, the food was all ready to be consumed, so why wait? Dinner was just a simple affair of leftovers from lunch and then it will be time to prepare for the midnight prayer to usher in the new year. Below are the simple dishes that I have prepared for this year's reunion.
Fruit cake which I have baked 2 weeks back, very festive looking with all the colourful fruits in it

Giant prawns, mixed with some potato starch and egg whites before coating in corn flour and deep frying

After prayer I recook the prawns and turned it into Salted egg with cereal prawns, yum!

This is my priced roast pork, which I had marinated the night before and had it roasted the next day to a beautiful golden brown! I think even the Gods would be pleased with this:P

The underside of the roast pork

Cut up to be eaten with relish! The skin was so crispy, it broke away from the meat! Also too hungry to bother about cutting into neat equal sizes lol!

Cut up roast chicken, would have prepared this on my own if I have the time, but one could only do so much so this was bought from the market and it was pretty expensive at RM28 a bird!

A must have CNY dish, leek stir fried with carrots and chinese sausages, simple and delicious and after consuming this, you will be better at counting, that's how the story goes, (leek in chinese dialects sounds like counting):P

This is another popular dish for CNY, stir fried brocolli, chinese mushrooms and fish maw, the carrots were added for colour

Oh, and I had boiled some lotus roots soup with pork ribs but in my haste had forgotten to take a photo. The leftover ribs was the dog's CNY meal :D
What? Still no food?
Ok, I'll take a nap while waiting....


Care to have one giant prawn? :D You can't, it's in my tummy!

37 comments:

  1. How exciting...you're right why wait? I feel like I am there with you...except without tasting this beautiful food! It all looks so good, and I'll bet it smells good too.

    Aww...nothing for your pup? How old is your dog? Looks like an old soul! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Jeannie! Love all of these food, I just wish I can taste some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year!!!
    So tasty your food, delicious!

    Kiss,

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've really outdone yourself here. The prawns and the pork? Wow!

    I wish I was a dog.

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! What a feast worthy of the celebration and company.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year! All the food looks amazing!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year! I loved seeing all of the food (especially that colorful bread!) Thank you for sharing yet another collection of delicious recipes. I hope you have a fabulous Friday and a relaxing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year! What an amazing feast - the roast pork looks just spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  9. From all this food I can only assume that you had a great time. Beautiful dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your beautiful wishes folks:D I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year! What a great feast! Love those prawns! And your dog is a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a feast for CNY! Esp. love the prawns. :)
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm salivating again looking at the roasted pork!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year, Jeannie. Your lunch was amazing. I would love to try each one of those wonderful dishes, especially the roast pork and prawns.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a FEAST!!! Everything looks so delicious!

    Happy Chinese New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a lot of good food! I love the prawns, of course and the roast pork looks so crispy on the outside. I have to learn how to roast pork. Just too good to miss. Awww...your dog...looks so miserable. I'm sure he had a nice portion, right?

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's a she Mary:D and yes we gave her a our soup meat which is soft and delicious for her I guess lol!

    Thanks for visiting folks:D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I want some giant prawns! They look so seriously delish.
    Bet you had a great festival!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You really prepared a feast for your family. I'm sure they ate every delicious morsel. Everything looks festive and beautiful. Could you possibly share the recipe for the leeks with us? I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jeannie, what a nice meal, they all sure look delicious...and sure I'll take the giant prawn :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Chinese New Year, Jeannie! Everything looks so delicious and festive!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy New Year, Jeannie! The food looks delicious and all auspicious!

    ReplyDelete
  23. gosh ur roast pork and prawns look SUPER delicious! the roast pork must have taken ages to roast!

    heh my dog also gives me that pitiful face when he wants to eat what we're eating too :) is yours a lab or a golden or neither? heh

    ReplyDelete
  24. Reunion lunch is an interesting idea! Your doggie is too adorable and the prawns look yum! Happy CNY :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Whoa...that roast pork looks better than those sold at the stall :) Your reunion lunch dishes all look appetizing...the prawns to the stir fry brocolli :) makes me hungry looking at them !

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, what a feast! And you tell me you are lazy?! That roast pork is gorgeous! Can tapau ah?

    ReplyDelete
  27. ping...That roast pork is actually pretty easy, just marinate overnight and put into the oven, the rest of the dish I have my sons to help me to cook lol! Mary asked for a recipe and I am still procastinating on getting it done...sorry Mary, I'll get that going in a couple of days hopefully:P

    ReplyDelete
  28. Everything looks so delicious! Your fruitcake is pretty. And your dog is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for visiting my blog! Everything you made for CNY looks amazing - wish I could find things like that near me! (Cute pup, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Kung Hei Fat Choi Jeannie! yummy, yummy food and so many too, wish I was there to help finish it off..lol :D

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy belated New Year :)
    I also wanted to mention that your blog always makes me hungry - you have so many yummy looking things in each post!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Indie.Tea...you are not late in wishing, CNY last for 15 days!:D

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm allergic to shell fish, but i still want that, do you have any recipes involving benedryl?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ais, you have to ask your doctor for advise on that:) Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I absolutely adore the loaded fruit cake! My very favorite. Happy Belated New year to you.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!