Naffnang

Followers

Friday, January 28, 2011

Semolina BBQ Buns


Well the name said BBQ  but I am not about to do that, what with the weather being so unpredictable and I am just getting over the flu.
I am just baking it for burgers or just eating it with butter and jam at work:) This recipe is very easy to follow and yields only 8 buns...just enough to last a day or two:)

Dough after kneading and now ready for proofing...the Kmix did the job for me of course, I just do the 3 seconds knead.

I found this recipe in this website if you are interested. I love the texture of this bread, chewy with a little bit of crunch from the semolina and dense enough to hold the weight of any sandwich fillings you care to top with.

SEMOLINA BARBECUE BUNS

(from Dan Lepard – The Guardian website)

75g semolina or cornmeal, plus more to finish
25g unsalted butter
1 tsp honey
1 tbsp natural yoghurt
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp instant dry yeast
450g strong white flour, plus more for shaping
150ml boiling water
200 ml warm water
oil for kneading

Method:
1. Spoon the semolina into a mixing bowl, pour on 150ml boiling water, stir well and leave for 10 minutes to cool.

2. Mix the butter, honey, yoghurt and salt into the mixture with a fork then slowly work in 200ml warm water, breaking up any lumps with your fingers. Stir in the yeast and flour, work to a smooth soft dough and leave for 10 minutes.

3. Give the dough three 10-sec kneads on an oiled surface over 30 minutes, then leave, covered, for an hour.

4. Roll the dough to about 25cm x 35cm on a floured surface, lay on a baking tray lined with non-stick paper and leave covered for 20 minutes.

5. Cut the dough into eight flat rectangular “rolls” and leave again covered until risen by half.

6. Heat the oven to 240°C/fan 220°C/465°F/gas 9. Brush the tops with water, sprinkle evenly with semolina and score a crisscross on top with a sharp knife. Bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown.


Fresh out of the oven....I just love the smell of freshly baked bread!

Cooling on the rack...

Now, tuck in! :D

13 comments:

  1. looks pretty soft, there are already a few bread recipes that i'm eyeing on , i might be also like to try this one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good looking loaf of freshly baked bread!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks easy. But I know it isn't. I'll leave the baking to the bakers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never say no to a homemade bread. These are ideal for making cheesburgers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look wonderful, must be fantastic just out of the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a perfect bun Jeannie. Love the look of that crumb!

    Answering your question about ricotta,
    I am not really sure what the best substitute would be. If you actually like ricotta but can not find it in your area, you know you can make your own too, right? Kristy actually posted the recipe for homemade ricotta. You might want to check her post on that. Cheers, elra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeannie, the texture of this bread looks so nice. Oh, semolina is cornmeal? Are those Alagapas branding semolina? Thanks for sharing & hope you're enjoying your weekend. It should be a joyful holiday. Have fun!
    Cheers, Krisyt

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks elra:) yes i know i can make my own ricotta but thought it'll save me trouble if i can substitute with cream cheese which is more common here.

    Kristy, cornmeal is not semolina, just that u can substitue with it if u not have semolina or do not like it. And yes i used Alagapa Brand semolina.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so pretty! I hope you are feeling all better soon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like you've found a recipe that gives crust and crumb. This looks and sounds delicious. I do hope you are feeling better. Have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful homemade bread. The texture looks awesome. Must be very delicious. I can even eat it plain, especially when it just comes out from the oven :D I need to bake bread this year, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you continue to feel better...these buns look so soft and delicious. I hope you are having a restful weekend with friends and family. Thank you for sharing with me tonight! Many blessings in the week to come.

    ReplyDelete
  13. MMMMMMMMMMM,..your buns look so tasty & fab & ooh so well risen too!

    I also am a big fan of Dan lepard!

    I recently moved my blog to wordpress.com/ Come over & check me out! You mustupdate your RSS too!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!