Naffnang

Followers

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Roast Pork (Chinese style)




 Last weekend, I was at the market when I saw this piece of beautiful pork belly lying on the butcher's table and bought it on impulse to make roast pork that I had been eyeing in  Wendy's blog Table for two or more for some time now.  I must say, she has a blog full of great recipes to follow.

I went home and happily went about marinating the meat and then chucked it into the fridge overnight as instructed. Took it out in the morning and proceeded to roast it on the wire rack with a cookie sheet at the bottom to catch drippings.  About an hour later, there's this piece of beautifully roasted pork ready to be enjoyed for lunch. The skin was crispy and the boys would have finished it if I had not saved some for dinner! It was very delicious and worth the effort of having to clean up the oven later.
Look at that! Isn't it beautiful, not too fat, just the way I like it! Have to be careful when cutting it because of the crispy skin which can break apart easily from the meat.

I am putting the recipe here for my own easy reference because I know I shall be making this again because my boys love it!

Ingredients

2kg pork belly with skin
2 Tbsp salt

Bottom marinade:

1/2 Tbsp seasoned pepper (Ajishio)
1/2 Tbsp salt
1/2 Tbsp 5 spice powder
1 large clove of garlic (smashed to a paste with some salt from the above allocated 1/2Tbsp)
1.5 cubes of Chinese Red Fermented Beancurd (Nam Yue), come to about 1/2 Tbsp
1 Tbsp Chinese cooking wine or Shao Xing wine

To brush on pork (later during roasting)
2 Tbsp Rice Vinegar

Method:

1. Mix bottom marinade together. Rub marinate on the pork belly generously. Turn over and rub salt on the SKIN part of the pork.

2. Place pork in the fridge over night, SKIN SIDE UP, uncovered to allow skin to dry up as much as possible.

3. The next day, preheat oven at 200C/220C. (Top and bottom heat or with convection on)

4. Prepare an elevated roasting rack, with a pan underneath. Or just use whatever grilling pan that comes with your oven. (I placed the pork directly on the wire rack with the cooking sheet at the bottom to catch drippings.)

5. Roast pork for 40 minutes (adjust according to the weight of the pork)

6. Remove pork from oven, and turn up the temperature to 250C (grill or top heat only).

7. Prick holes all over pork skin with a sharp knife or a bunch of needles (tied together with rubber band) as much as you can (I used a sharp knife before marinating)

8. Brush vinegar over pork skin. Clean or change tray to minimize smoking from drippings.

9. Return pork(on elevated rack) to oven and bake for another 40 minutes or until the skin is slightly charred.

10. Rest pork and allow to cool before slicing.....Enjoy!



Mmmmmm....enjoy!

31 comments:

  1. It sounds like a big hit to me! Beautifully roasted pork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks amazing...I love pork belly...it's hard to find here...well except as bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too made some siew yoke last weekend and my hubby just love it especially the crackling skin. This taste so much better than the one sold in the market isn't it. I plan to make again for CNY :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks beautiful...I wish I could take a bite of it right now. I also wish we could find pork belly to buy around here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The marinade sounds so flavorful, and the resulting roast pork must be fantastic, it looks excellent for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully roasted pork belly! Looks very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks absolutely delicious, Jeannie. It would be worth cleaning the oven if you got such a luscious looking roast. I'll bet that skin is sooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The roast pork looks delicious, not so fatty. My girl made it in Melb. recently. I'll need to try making it too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeannie, it really does look perfect. Pork belly is finally available in my area, so I'll have to try this soon. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. The skin of your roasted pork belly look so crispy! You did well for this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just perfect. I miss Chinese roasted pork - could get it in NYC but not in MN.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your marinade sounds so good! Yum! This looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW!!!Jeannie,i really salute you as your roast pork could compete with the pros!oh! I am looking at those photos and salivating!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also bookmarked Wendy's recipe, and hope i can try this using my new oven soon. Yours look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks like the real deal. Seriously, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My boys love this crackly pork though I try not to make it too often. The fermented bean curd must give it added flavor. will have to try that the next time I make this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. is this complicated to make? i hope to try this out too someday, looks so tempting, i'm having a glass of beer now, i think it would be great if i have some of these roast pork to accompany it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank for sharing the recipe Jeannie, I always wonder how to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can I come over and have a plate of this? This looks so very good! I love pork, but I never make it at home. You are encouraging me to give it a try. Thank you for sharing your great pictures and dish with me. I hope you have a great day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The roast pork looks really nice! I love the crispy skin!

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ lena, it's not too difficult, the hardest part would be the poking of holes on the tough skin!

    @Monet, you can come share a plate of this delicious pork anytime, just give me advance notice to marinate:D

    Thanks for visiting folks:D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yummy! The skin looks so crisp and the meat is so tender and succulent. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  23. ohhhh this looks sooo gooood! this recipe looks like a keeper...ill need to make it when i come across a nice piece of meat at the butchers too :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG....irresistable recipe...with awesome clicks..
    Tasty appetite

    ReplyDelete
  25. its very nice blog dear friend... :D smile

    Keep Visiting Dear Friends....Thanx
    Lyrics Mantra
    Music Bol

    ReplyDelete
  26. the first picture looks as if you got it from those chicken rice stalls - delicious :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, You tried the recipe and I'm happy that it worked well for you.
    Not hard to make, but hard to clean up, LOL.
    But it's worth it to get a piece of nice crunchy roasted pork.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks to you Wendy, that we get to eat nice roast pork and so cheap as compared to those bought from market:D

    ReplyDelete
  29. it looks definitely delicious..crispy skin and juicy meat, you nailed it Jeannie, that's one perfect roast pork you got there :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!