Naffnang

Followers

Sunday, January 30, 2011

First and last? CNY cookies


As I had been under the weather lately and only just recovered, I thought I'd better take it easy and only bake one type of cookies for this weekend...not sure I will be having any more time to bake more as I have to prepare other stuff for the coming Lunar New Year which falls on this Thursday! Doesn't matter, I have some other types of cookies given to me so I won't be short of cookies to eat, lol! Must be more diligent in exercising:P
Well, I had chose to bake almond cookies as this is something I have yet to try before and the recipe kept appearing in blogs I guessed it must be good....did several versions...the above was with a mixture of self raising flour and potato starch...very delicate and cracked, and very melt in the mouth and crumbly....must handle with care! The boys like this version best.

This batch was done with plain flour, without the almond nips and no egg wash on the top...as you can see, they remained nicely smooth and retained their original shape better, easier to handle and I like the texture, still melt in the mouth.

And this batch, I added the nips but still with plain flour...added a bit more flour so the dough is firm, thus can cut into pretty flower shape:D I like this one best, smooth and can bite into almond nips,  very delicious!

Below is the recipe using plain flour:-

You need:

160 g plain flour
60g icing sugar
80g ground almonds (I grind my own using toasted almonds with skin)
80g almond nips (I used the same toasted almonds with skin, just chop them into nips)
100g corn oil
Pinch of salt

Method:

Sift flour, icing sugar and salt together.  Add both almonds and stir to mix.

Pour in the oil and mix to form a soft dough. Take a piece and roll out to about 1/4 inch on a lightly floured surface.  Cut into desired shapes and bake at 170 deg C for about 20 minutes.

Alternatively, you can just pinch a tsp of dough and roll into a ball, pressing lightly with a fork to flatten slightly.

Cool on rack completely before storing in air tight containers. 


These are very addictive! Can't stop at one piece!

17 comments:

  1. My cookie jar is completely empty, those delicious cookies would fit in perfectly. :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeannie,
    At least there's one now.
    Don't fret about it.
    Take good care and I'm waiting for your good news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flower shaped is very pretty, so does the recipe, sounds so yummy..I saw many blogger making this :)
    Take care and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious cookies Jeannie. Anything with almond I will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the flower shaped cookies look so pretty.i also baked every little cookies and like you, i have already have a few other types given to my by relatives, happy shopping and have a wonderful and prosperous new year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look and sound delicious. You have such patience. Your cookies are beautiful and I'm sure they taste as good as they look. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. All three versions look so good, especially with those pretty plates and with the red cloth. Very festive. Take it easy, Jeannie, good health to you and Gong Xi Fa Cai! :-)
    P.S. How many cookies did you manage to make from the dough?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks folks, for visiting and leaving your comments:D

    @Marty...I doubled the recipe and managed to get 204 (I counted!) :D Of course the quantity can vary too depending on the thickness of the cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have seen many CNY cookies on blogs. The festive mood is everywhere on blogsphere.
    Your cookies are very beautiful, so good to be served as CNY treats.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I like these. I had ust made some almond balls the other day. I would love to try more almond cookies. Yours look very pretty and delicious. Bookmarking to try. Thanks very much for sharing. Glad to know you are feeling better. Yes, take it easy :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful cookies, Jeannie. I love the little flower mold. 204 cookies!!!! That must have taken forever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sure these beauties mad you feel a lot better. They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a MUST try for sure. Love the idea! Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been feeling a bit under the weather too...and these cookies look like they would be perfect treats for me to make. I think they look and sound delicious. Thank you for sharing and continue to feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cookies looks so yummy, I love the cute flower shape which you have made for the cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like these almond cookies very much and happy Chinese New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!