Naffnang

Followers

Friday, January 14, 2011

Carbonara Fettuccine


When I saw the delicious photo on Wendy's blog recently, it makes me want to cook it too.  I like it even more after reading the recipe and discover no heavy cream is needed for the sauce, just eggs and cheese. As I was at the gym which is located in a shopping mall, I hopped into the supermart to get some bacon and chinese parsley for this dish.  I have some basil growing in a pot so shredded some to toss in as well for added fragrance.
Spaghetti Carbonara



Here's the recipe if you want to try it, adapted by Wendy from The Pioneer Woman

Serves 2

170gm spaghetti (1 used fettuccine)
100gm streaky bacon, cut small
1 small onion, about 50gm unpeeled weight, coarsely chopped
4 cloves garlic, sliced (I used 3 cloves)
1 cup water
½ tsp salt
2 eggs
2 slices cheddar cheese, chopped
2 Tbsp cheese powder/finely grated parmesan
Handful of chopped parsley

 
1. Put bacon in a frying pan and cook on medium low heat until golden. The bacon will release a lot of oil. Remove bacon from the oil.


2. Put in chopped onions into the pan (still with the oil) and sauté until soft, add sliced garlic and sauté until golden. Drain the onions/garlic and put aside.
3. Pour away the oil and heat the pan until hot again and put in water. Bring the water to a boil and put in 2/3 of the bacon and all the fried onions+garlic. Season with salt (has to be slightly oversalted) Simmer on medium heat for 3 minutes. (You can do this step in advance while waiting for dinner time)

4. Bring a pot of water to boil,.

5. While waiting for the water to boil, mix eggs, chopped cheese slices, cheese powder, black pepper and parsley together.

6. When water had boiled, cook spaghetti according to instructions on packaging. (better bring the bacon gravy back to boil now and keep it warm on low heat)

7. Pour everything from the pot into a colander and drain well.  Quickly pour the very hot spaghetti into the egg mixture. Pour in the hot bacon sauce and toss everything. It’ll look soupy initially. Add the remaining 1/3 of crispy fried bacon.
8. Leave the pasta in the bowl for 10 minutes, to allow the sauce to thicken and coat the pasta well.
Enjoy this Carbonara Fettuccine hot! Yumms!


 

20 comments:

  1. Well, well... Look at you getting all Italian on me!

    Next you'll be making tripe. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful plate of pasta, it sure looks nuce and creamy! I can see why you had to make this. Did everyone like it? of course how could you not with bacon on top! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice carbonara - Italians never use cream. Yay for you for getting it right The photos are telling me to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a tasty dish. Great for a quick and easy meal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love this pasta dish. Your version of it looks and sounds wonderful. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderfully rich and satisfying carbonara - excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anything with bacon gets my vote! Looks delicious, Jeannie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the flavor of the bacon would be so scrumptious in the carbonara <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks very good as well! i think wendy just made that 2 days ago, you are really quick...you must be one of thise pasta lovers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not sure who will not like Carbonara sauce, I know I love it !

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughter would love this. She is crazy over pasta carbonara. She cooked once but it was too rich for me. But glad she learned. I had to say it was very delicious :D It was...just that I could eat much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great dish, Jeannie. I like the last picture!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jeannie! This looks so yummy. I'm not usually a big fan of heavy cream in my pasta dishes, so I'm also happy to see that it just calls for egg and cheese. Thank you so much for sharing. May your Sunday burst forth with joy and love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This carbonara looks absolutely mouthwatering and the crispy bacon on top makes me drool.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My family will like this nice and creamy dish. Thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. ohhhh yummm! im a huge carbonara fan!
    i love fettucine too (altho they always take so long to cook!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmm...i still have some cheddar cheese and ham sitting in my fridge, perhaps could make this too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds wonderful- and it looks great too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your carbonara is so creamy and delicious looking! One of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I remember you telling me you want to see ur sons go to heaven while you see them eating this.. LOL.
    Are they back yet?

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!