Naffnang

Followers

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Whole wheat Pumpkin Coconut Muffins


 I saw some beautiful pumpkins at the market today and couldn't resist buying half a pumpkin back. I roasted it for 1 hour and then used 1.5 cups of the mashed pumpkin to bake these delicious Pumpkin Coconut muffins today. The original recipe that I followed used chocolate chips but as I have only a handful left, added some coconut flakes too.



Whole wheat Pumpkin Coconut Muffins (adapted from keep your diet real)



Ingredients:

•½ cup of brown sugar
•¼ cup vegetable oil or canola oil (I used corn oil)
•2 eggs
•1 ½ cups of pumpkin puree (one 15.5 oz can) (I used freshly mashed pumpkin)
•1 cup of whole wheat flour (I used whole meal)
•1 cup of all purpose flour
•1 teaspoon of baking powder
•½ teaspoon of baking soda
•1 teaspoon of cinnamon
•¼ teaspoon of salt
•¼ teaspoon of nutmeg
•½ cup of chocolate chips (semi-sweet) (I ran out of chips so added 3 tablespoons of coconut flakes)

Directions:

1.Preheat the oven to 180 deg C.

2.Grease a muffin pan with butter or use paper liners.

3.In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, eggs, and oil. Stir for about 3 minutes using a wooden spoon or an electric mixer.

4.Add the pumpkin puree to this mixture and stir for another minute.

5.In a separate mixing bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg.

6.Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture a little bit at a time until fully combined.

7.Stir in the chocolate chips (and coconut flakes) and then fill the muffin pan so that each space is about ¾ full.

8.Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.


These are seriously fluffy and delicious... did not mash it too fine so can still taste bits of pumpkin in the muffins...awesome!

22 comments:

  1. These look and sound like they would be delicious. At this time of year I have lots of pumpkin in the house and this would be a great way to use it. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. These muffins look seriously fluffy! I am not sure that I have combined pumpkin and coconut in a muffin recipe before, but I am totally falling for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect muffin for weekend breakfast !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love. love. love that you used freshly mashed pumpkin and whole wheat flour. These sounds like the perfect fall breakfast...or snack. I bet the whole wheat help up incredibly well to the pumpkin, too. What a perfect marriage. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is healthy and looks so good! I love pumpkin. And coconut!! Great recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to some pumpkin recipes from you Mary:D

    THanks Angie...the coconut flakes do add extra taste to this muffin.

    Thanks elra...I had one for breakfast with my coffee and it was awesome!

    Thanks Ree...It is a marriage of flavors made in heaven hehe!

    Cake Duchess...They are very healthy with very little oil and sugar, perhaps if you want it healthier, you can omit the the coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chocolate, coconut and pumpkin. Yes...these would make me one happy person! They look so fluffy and moist. Thank you for sharing. I hope your weekend is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely muffins. Pumpkin and coconut seem to go so well together. I always use coconut milk in my pumpkin soup. The texture looks just right, I love the coconut on top!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The colour is gorgeous! I think I should make these during the Chinese New Year and it sounds really appropriate as well, you know! Because of the golden colour. haha.... Thanks for the recipe, Jeannie. Hope you'll have a great week ahead!
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never thought about adding coconut to pumpkin muffins. My first instinct would have been to add walnuts instead. The muffin looks delicious and very healthy too!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that soothes, comfort and nourishes! Love that there were specks of pumpkin in it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look delicious! I love the addition of the coconut flakes and the liners are so fun! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great combo! Great idea adding the coconut!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your coconut toppings. They look really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I usually only cook pumpkin for dinner meal.So i just wondering how it really like taste for muffin type.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those look delicious!!!Love the combination.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These muffins sounds healthy AND delicious! Love the combination of coconut and pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look really tasty. Adding the coconut flakes is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This one is truly an indulging recipe. I can add some chocolate syrup since my kids will surely like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think you don't need to add chocolate syrup since it is already sweet especially the coconut flavor.I think yogurt will make it yummier.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!