Naffnang

Followers

Monday, November 1, 2010

Purple Sweet Potatoes Muffins

Well,, sort of purple....that turned blackish after baking lol!
I swear it was purple, I have the photo of the purple batter but it wouldn't load somehow...

See some purplish tinge? No? Look closer!

I can spot some purple sweet potato bits in there! Anyway, black or purple, these muffin tasted good.  Don't believe? Make some yourself:D

Here's the recipe, adapted from From Apples2Zucchini 

I think it's more muffins since no creaming of butter is needed and the steps are similar to making muffins, so I shall call these muffins..

1 Cup cooked mashed sweet potatoes (I have only the purple type so I used that but I believe orange ones will be better looking)
1/3 cup canola oil (I used corn oil)
1/4 cup applesauce (I used yoghurt since I don't have that)
2 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla (I used essence since that's all I have)
1 cup sugar (I used 3/4 cup, maybe less)
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder

Mix sweet potato, oil, applesauce (yoghurt) and sugar together till sugar dissolved.  Add lightly beaten eggs and mix thoroughly.

Add dry ingredients to the wet and gently blend the batter.

Scoop into cupcakes liners at 2/3 full and bake at 170 deg C for 20 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove and cool on rack before consuming.


15 comments:

  1. Lovely muffins and interesting color too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeannie, don't fret! You are not alone, I had quite a similar encounter with purple sweet potatoes. My purple sweet potato cake turned out green and I got a shock! You can take a peep in my blog.
    http://cheah2009.blogspot.com/2009/11/purple-sweet-potato-cake.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. It actually looks like a super-rich deep purple! and this happened in my family too! I do love sweet purple potato in baked goods - and I'm sure this tasted heavenly regardless of the colour! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally purple - inside and out. I love mixing it up and serving something purple at the dinner table (usually a form of potato). Just the incredulous looks are worth it. The ingredietns are delicious and bookmarking it. When I love all the ingredients - I know I'm in for happiness with the finished result.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious looking muffins and the color would make good conversation at the breakfast table.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting...I wonder what made it change to such a deep color. Whatever the color, I am sure it is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have yet to find or try those purple potatoes...but I can't wait until I do...I love adding unique vegetables to my baked goods. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh! I just baked some purple sweet potatoes buns yesterday. The colour also turned out likes yours. However, i know it is delicious! who cares about the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Though it does look mostly greenish I can totally mark some purple potato spots all over! I think those are very cool looking muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jeannie, that happened to me too when I made purple yam cupcakes, it turned green..I think it's the reaction to baking soda or baking powder, I'm not really sure; I had to use food color/flavor to make it purple. It doesn't matter what color it turned out anyway, it's the taste that counts :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Phew! So relieved that I am not the only one experiencing the change of colour! I agreed totally that it's the taste that counts:D Thanks ladies, for visiting and giving your views, cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks "blue" to me....but "black", "blue", or "purple"...that matters no much, as least not as much as the taste. They look delicious to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The last photo gave me the feeling that I was deep under the sea. I don't know why. LOL Well, they sound yummy to me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, love this!! I was so happy to have finally tried the sweet purple potatoes when I was home ....very delicious! Thanks very much for dropping by while I was away. Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!