Naffnang

Followers

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Greentea/Chocolate Bread Loaf

I was surfing around, looking at other bloggers' posts and admiring the many gorgeous photos when the photo of a tri-coloured braid caught my eye. The very pretty bread was from Happy Home Baking.  She posted about how her dough separated during the final proofing but that did not deter me from wanting to try it. I added 1 teaspoon of greentea and cocoa powder because I felt that it would give a more vibrant green and as she had accidentally added 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder as well, I decided to do the same because the colour looked fine to me.

The different flavoured doughs, ready for proofing

Braided and into the pan for second proofing

Just out of the pan and cooling on the rack...can't wait to slice through it!

There! So pretty and soft and fluffy! Each piece yields a different design creating a marble effect:D
There's a slight green tea flavour coming through but none for the chocolate flavoured dough.

Here's the recipe if you are interested to give it a try:-

Ingredient:


300g bread flour
30g castor sugar (I just put in 1 tablespoon, not sure if that is equivalent to 30g)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 & 1/4 teaspoons (5g) instant yeast
180g water (I actually used the scale to weigh the water!)
20g unsalted butter

1/2 teaspoon green tea powder (I used 1 tsp)
1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder (I used 1 tsp)

This is how I do it:-

Place water, sugar, salt, bread flour and yeast in the mixer bowl of a stand mixer machine. Mix with the hook attachment until you obtained a rough dough. Add the softened butter and continue kneading for about 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.  It is ready when the dough is slapping against the bowl and no longer sticking on it.
Remove dough from the bowl and divide into 3 equal portions (about 170-180g per portion).

On a lightly floured surface, take a piece of dough and knead in the cocoa powder. Knead the green tea powder into the second piece of dough. Place the doughs in 3 separate bowls and cover with cling wrap and let them rise till double in volume, about 60 mins. Took me less time because it was a hot day!

Remove doughs and gently knead each dough to degass. I start braiding from here without further resting time. Roll each dough to form long ropes of about 30 cm in length.  Connect one end together and start plaiting into a loose braid. Pinch and seal the ends.  Place the plaited dough, tucking the ends down, into a well greased pullman loaf pan.

Cover the lid and leave dough for a second proofing until it has risen up to 90% of the height of the tin. Again it took me less than 60 minutes to achieve this.

Bake at preheated oven at 180-190 degC for about 30-40 mins.  I need to bake for 40 minutes in my oven.

Remove from oven and unmold immediately onto a rack to cool completely before slicing.

Note: I used a 8" x 4" x 4" pan.

32 comments:

  1. WOW! This is very beautiful. Thumbs Up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful...it would make really pretty sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic technique. Your bread is one of the prettiest I've ever seen. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the combination of flavours & colours. The bread looks really pretty. I'm sure you had fun. Hope you're enjoying the evening.
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty loaf, enticing flavor !

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so colorful and impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful loaf! I love the colors and use of braiding. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is the prettiest loaf of bread I've ever seen! I wouldn't want to eat it - just gaze at it! It's so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I second Reeni this bread is simple amazing great job

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is totally the coolest thing (food related) I've seen in a long long time! i LOVE the colours, the flavour combo, and the fluffiness of it...def my kinda food!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic loaf! Looks very soft.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is amazing! What a daring challenge...and one that you pulled off so well. I love the flavors of chocolate and green tea, and the appearance of this loaf can't be beat! Thank you for sharing. Here's to a week of baking, cooking and a lot of love!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My description in one word: CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is so pretty, I love the design with gorgeous colors, excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing.... absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow!so pretty! This type of bread can't find in any other cake house yet! It is so square in shape. I like the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is the coolest loaf of bread I've seen! I love the different colors of dough braided together. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, this is just awesome, Jeannie. Must try!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks so amazing! I've never seen a loaf like this, braided with three colours. Very beautiful and also looks so tasty! I had a delicious loaf of bread this weekend (not as pretty though :)), and it seems such a nice thing when the seasons are changing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Jeannie...your bread looks so pretty, I just baked a loaf of bread last night...if I have seen your post I sure would have "copied"...will try next time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is AMAZING! Perhaps one of the most innovative recipes I've seen. I love the flavors, and it almost looks unreal.

    ReplyDelete
  22. OH WOWWWW look at that dough!! Definitely the prettiest loaf I've ever seen. Love the colors, love the flavors, and love your creativity! This was done so beautifully and it looks deliciously light and fluffy too!! Great work Jeannie, you are a very talented girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow...that looks like a piece of art to me! It's really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. My grandchildren would think I was so clever if I made this colorful bread for them. Nicely done, Jeannie.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is one beautiful loaf - almost too pretty to eat - but I'd eat it anyway. And wish I was eating it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi, your bread looks like modern art.Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  27. My 14 year old daughter want to make this. But she wants a pink color instead of white. Thanks for inspiration in baking.

    ReplyDelete
  28. the colours are so pretty! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yours is truly gorgeous!!

    Did it take u long to knead in the green tea powder and chocolate?

    ps : i did this too, the same time i did my Tri-Flavor Bread. will be up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  30. @maameemmoomoo...what a nick lol! I knead it by hand on my countertop immediately after the machine has done the initial job before I leave it for proofing. Takes about 5 minutes to incorporate the greentea or chocolate powder.

    ReplyDelete
  31. WOW this is a gorgeous creation! I have never seen anything quite like this.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a lovely sandwiches you´ll make with this bread,
    Congratulations and kisses from Spain-Europe

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!