Naffnang

Followers

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Glutinous Chicken Rice (Loh Mai Kai)

This rice is easily available at coffee shops and at tim sum restaurants and is a favourite among the locals here. My sons love this dish so I decided to try my hand at it today since I am on leave from work.
Quite easy to prepare, with simple ingredients

  We ate it for lunch, one bowl is enough to fill you up!
 
The recipe is as follows, adjust the seasoning to your own preference:-


 Ingredients (serves 4 or 6)

200g glutinous rice (soaked overnight)
250 g chicken pieces (thighs or breasts)
6 dried chinese mushrooms (soaked and sliced)
2 chinese sausages (Lap cheong) sliced diagonally
50g dried shrimps, washed and drained
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon corn flour
2 teaspoons dark soya sauce ~ divided use
1 tablespoon chinese wine or sherry
salt and pepper to taste
chicken stock or water

Method:
1.  Heat about 3 tablespoon of oil in wok and fry dried shrimps till fragrant before adding rice. Add 1 teaspoon of dark soya sauce and mix well.
2.  Add chicken stock or water and stir until water is absorbed. Add some salt and pepper to taste. Dish out and set aside.
3.  Cut chicken into bite-size pieces and marinate with oyster sauce, wine, the balance dark soya sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Add corn flour and mix well, preferably marinate for 1 hour.
4.  Heat up a steamer and prepare the rice for steaming.  Please chicken pieces, sliced mushrooms and sausages at the bottom of a rice bowl or aluminium bowl.
5. Add prepared rice up to the top and level it up. Cover with aluminium foil. Repeat until all ingredients are used up.
6. Steam over high fire for 20 minutes.
7.  Remove rice from bowl and garnish with scallions before serving.



32 comments:

  1. wow looking very delicious...

    http://cookingbachelors.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have reminded me i have too long did not make LMK, yours look so delicious~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love LMK very much but have not tried to make this at home. I'll bookmark this recipe ~ Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet your sons really enjoyed this meal. I love shrimps and all the exotic flavors you used to prepare this rice. I am bookmarking this. Thanks Jeannie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We can't get lo mai kai here at the dim sum place. They only serve lotus wrap rice. I like having this in my freezer and when craving strike I can have it anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this wish I could get it where we live

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeannie, this looks like a wonderful dish. Your photos are really great. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds quite tasty and pretty simple. Great lunch idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one of my favorite Chinese dishes, I love starting off a banquet with this.. I just love glutinous rice full stop. Great job!! This looks AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My family love homemade LMK! The commercial LKK contains of pork and they hated it. ha! Well, actually, they don't like pork at all. Though, I still adding in the Chinese sausage. We need that to flavour up the rice. Yours look really tempting. Hope you're having a wonderful day.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! I made loh mai fan, have yet to post it and I did make this LMK long,long ago! Yours look so tempting, Jeannie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh!I want to eat the photo!Your LMK looks so tempting!All my saliva almost come out from my mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this but can't eat too much glutinous rice. My mom would love this. I should try making for her when I go back again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum! How about using duck too? Double yum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks delicious, I love the mushroom and the chicken in it, and the sausage too, well actually everything hehe, I'm not surprise you only had a bowl, glutinous rice is very heavy on the tummy, in a good way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh, what great flavors. I love rice just about any way I can get it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Jeannie, This is a dish/ingredient I haven't been exposed to very much. I always love coming here because I find such great and creative ideas! Thank you for sharing! I hope you have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi,

    Beautiful chicken rice dear...love it...:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't believe I've ever seen this before. It looks terrific! I wonder if anyone serves it here? I'd love to give it a try. I think my husband would really enjoy it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh my... my sis and i were just talking about missing loh mai kai last night!

    let's see if i can bribe her with this when i want something from her next week :P

    ReplyDelete
  21. Delicious! Looks almost like those glutinous rice dumplings!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ohh my..All these delicious n lovely posts...Great job dear...Absolutely tempting recipe..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks easy and full of flavor; I am learning new techniques here, thanks for educating me!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Salivating! it's really delicious looking .

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've never had this but I'd love to try it! I'm going to hit up the Asian market to see if I can find some glutinous rice!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This one is very much looked like Nasi Tim Ayam in Indonesia. Often, it is sold at Peranakan food stalls. OMG, I am craving for this now.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm glad I am not the only one commenting so late on this. I almost missed it. This looks so good, and I just so happen to have some glutinous rice in my pantry. I am bookmarking it. I am sure my daughter would love it except without the mushrooms.(can't get her to eat mushroom)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Late or not, I'll always appreciate a comment Lyndsey:D Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ha ha, I'm also late to comment, just saw this. So excited because I really enjoy Loh Mai Kai but didn't realise it's quite simple to make. Definitely bookmarking this, thanks Jeannie.

    ReplyDelete
  30. looks good! hungry already!! hehehe i like those with char siew bits, awesome stuffs hehe

    ReplyDelete
  31. wow that looks so good! the ingredients and flavours used sound very similar to what i did for claypot rice, so i can already imagine that heavenly combination of tastes! yum yum yum!

    http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/02/claypot-rice-with-chinese-sausage-and.html

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!