Naffnang

Followers

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Yoghurt Chiffon Cake

I baked this wonderful, light cake for breakfast and to take some to office for lunch today.  Eating this kind of cake makes me feel less guilty as it is very low in fat and sugar.

I didn't bang the pan hard enough to release the air bubbles, hence the holes in the cake!

The recipe goes like this:-

Ingredients:
(A)
4 eggs yolks
40g castor sugar
1/4 tsp salt
40g corn oil
140g yoghurt
1 tbsp lemon juice

(B)
110 g flour
10g custard powder
1 tsp baking powder
(sift the ingredients together)

(C)
5 egg whites
50g castor sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
(use 1 tbsp lemon juice if you do not have cream of tartar)

In a bowl, whisk yolks and sugar till creamy and sugar has dissolved. Add oil, salt, yoghurt  and lemon juice and whisk till combined.

Fold in sifted flour and mixed till batter is smooth and lump free.

In your mixer bowl, beat the egg whites till frothy before adding cream of tartar and continue to beat till soft peaks.

Add sugar in thirds and beat till stiff peaks.

Fold in 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter and gently mix till well combined.  Pour the batter into the rest of the egg whites and gently keep folding until you can't see any streaks of egg white in the batter.

Pour batter into a 23 cm fluted pan and bang down on the table a few times to get rid of large air bubbles.

Bake at 170 deg C for 45 minutes or until golden brown.  Immediately remove from oven and over turn the pan to cool completely before cutting and serve.

So moist and light!

25 comments:

  1. Yeah, right, you baked this BEFORE going out to work, sure you did.

    Next you'll be telling us that you fly around at night sprinkling fairy dust over all the little sleeping children.

    [BTW, if you really do that, look me up on Google Maps, would you. I could use a little dusting.]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chiffon cake because there's an excuse for eating more, but I certainly can't survive on this alone for lunch! Mmmm no wonder you're so slim, Jeannie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks as light as a cloud! Such amazing talent :) (The bubbles are kind of nice, makes the cake seem even lighter :)).

    ReplyDelete
  4. very pillowy cake, looks like beautiful clouds. Delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  5. @MrMeatball...I baked that the evening before though I wish I could bake on the morning B4 going to work! Talk about fresh out of the oven! Yeah, I am no fairy, I can't do magic lol!

    @Cheah...Staying slim is hard work! Especially for people who loves to bake and eat!

    @Jude...Thanks! you have great imagination lol!

    @erla...Is that you in your profile photo? You are one very slim lady! I'd love to know your secret;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my.... I love this recipe!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your chiffon cake looks very light and airy. I have never made chiffon cakes. Gotta try one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never made a chiffon cake before...but now I need to give it a try! This looks so light and airy...and I love that it isn't full of fat and sugar. Thanks for sharing such a delicious treat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had made the orange chiffon cake once, but it turned out not so light as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know you could make such a light cake with yoghurt. I must try this recipe. Thanks for posting it, Jeannie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so light and fluffy. What a great treat :).

    ReplyDelete
  12. your chiffon looks very soft indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It does look wonderfully light! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a totally perfect chiffon! Soft, airy and moist!

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks so light and airy, I wouldn't feel guilty eating it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds fabulous with the yoghurt in it.Chiffon cake is one of those things I've been meaning to bake but just never got around to do it. This is one recipe I'd love to try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This cake looks wonderful!!!!looks soft and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Waw, Jeannie!! Your cake looks amazing & must taste light & airy too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those air bubbles make the cake look even lighter - it looks amazingly light and fluffy and airy and beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I second that i love the sir bubbles so muc too!!
    And the cake looks so so good!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love lemon cakes. This one does look light and delicious and it's so great that it doesn't have a lot of fat or sugar. What is custard powder? I haven't ever seen that around here.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful and moist looking chiffon cake. I have never baked one myself because I am afraid I might not be able to achieve the result I want.., thanks for sharing this great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  23. @ Kim...custard powder is mainly cornflour mixed with some yellow colouring and some flavourings. Check out the site here for more info:)

    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-custard-powder.htm

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't like overly sweet desserts so this is perfect for me. I've never heard of custard powder either. What fun to find something new! I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  25. My favorite cake is a nice and light one like this. I would love a slice of this tomorrow morning with my coffee. :)It looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!