Naffnang

Followers

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Stone Fruit Teacake

Bet you must have noticed I have not been baking or doing much cooking lately. Thought I'd better cut down on baking and do that only during the weekends to cut down on calories intake and spend more time in the gym! During the week days, everyone is also busy either at school, college or at work so no breakfast or lunch at home; only dinner which is also limited to simple stir fried meals with rice or a take away meal. After long hours away from home, especially if we are stuck in a jam when it rains (and it's been pouring the past week), we don't feel like cooking at all! These were what we ate today~

A simple breakfast of bread spread with butter and peanut butter, washed down with a hot cup of coffee:)


Lunch was pizza; I prepared the dough and left it in the fridge the previous night. A simple topping of minced meat, sausages and pineapple with mozarella cheese.


Washed down with a papaya smoothie.  The papaya was from the backyard and since nobody wanted to eat it on its own, I thought I'd make it more appealing by cutting it up and blend with some yoghurt, milk and sugar...it worked:D They drank it all up and declared it to be quite delicious!

These clams were part of dinner, steamed with shreded ginger, chilli and white wine, they were absolutely delicious!
 
With some time to kill in the later part of the day, I decided to bake this beautiful Stone Fruit Teacake which I have seen in many blogs and book marked it as a must bake because I think it is gorgeous!


I used luscious plums and sunny oranges for the topping ~ it is gorgeous no?
The recipe can be found here . Below is my own modifications:

Stone Fruits Tea Cake Recipe


1 Tbsp butter (for greasing pan)
150gm all purpose flour
½ tsp baking powder
100gm sugar
100gm butter
1 egg and 1 yolk
2 Red plums, sliced thinly into wedges
1orange, peeled and sliced into wedges

1. Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl. With a mixer, cream the sugar and butter together on medium-high speed for 3 to 5 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add the egg and yolk, beating well to combine.
2. Add the flour in 2 or 3 batches, mix till a smooth dough forms.
3. Preheat the oven to 160/180C. Butter a shallow, 8-inch baking dish or tart pan. Spread about 60% of dough into the pan. Arrange the plum slices over the dough. Save a few slices for the topping. Scoop the remaining dough into teaspoon size balls and scatter them over the fruit.  Arrange the remaining plum slices on the top.
4. Bake for 10 minutes, take out and arrange the orange slices on the top and continue baking for 30 minutes or until lightly golden and firm. Enjoy!

29 comments:

  1. The cake looks great, have made it too, but not posted yet. It's indeed gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The teacake looks delicious. And I understand what you mean about traffic jams-when I visited my parents in May, we once took a 5 hour round trip to get to lunch in the next suburb! Five hours! Like your smoothie, I often do that too with fruit no one wants to eat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the orange and plum topping. The smoothies looks delicious and a good way to get people to eat (drink) fruits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Cheah....I have seen you baking a similar cake with fruits toppings that looked delicious too! Can't wait to see your version of this cake:)

    @Shaz...Thanks Shaz and yeah, the traffic here just sucks! Five hours to the next suburb is over the top!

    @Lindsay....Thanks:D

    @michele...Thanks for visiting:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your plums cake look so moist and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cake looks beautiful. I love using stone fruits in baking recipes. But your papaya smoothie is what really tempted me. Perhaps because I'm so warm right now! It looks so very refreshing, and I love the tropical flavors. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just had a cup of papaya smoothies this morning.Your steamed clams is a of my most favorite foods. I love your cake, sure one day must try to bake this, mark down your recipe first .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whah...Jeannie, your breakfast bread is so thick! Your meals look simple and delicious...what I love too. Love your cake....mmm

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely looking teacake - I realize the days I post about food I consume more calories! :) So I try to alternate some days with photography posts and others :) Your photos are making me so hungry again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm trying really hard to bake less too. The papaya smoothie sounds so yummy and filling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Natasha...Thanks:D
    @erla...Yes, it is very moist, especially after keeping it till the next day.
    @Monet...Thanks! I love baking this cake 'cos it turned out so well at first try. I should drink more smoothies to keep the hunger away rather than eating cakes:P
    @WaiKitt...Do try baking the cake, you won't be disappointed.
    @MaryMoh...I love eating thick slices of bread, lucky it's a small loaf.
    @Jude...I realized that too, hence the effort to bake less!
    @Ann...You look so skinny, still can eat more cakes :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait for summer to get my hands on some wonderful stone fruits to make this cake.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautifully done. I am envious of your stone fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The colours of the stone fruit on top of the cake never cease to wow me. It just looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is an absolutely lovely cake! With a cup of tea, it's the perfect snack! The clams look wonderful too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a lovely cake! Would love to have a slice with my tea. Have not had clams in a while. They look really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very delicious looking cake! Love the lala dish too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your homemade pizza and smoothie look like a delicious lunch, Jeannie. And those clams make my mouth water. I love plum cake and your version looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have bookmarked the stone fruit teacake, but have yet to try out, I must try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A very pretty stone fruit coffee cake! The ginger clams looks very fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  21. All the food looks wonderful but the cake - well, the cake takes the cake :-). I hope all is well and that you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks you all for visiting and leaving comments, I appreciated it very much:) Hope you have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is such a pretty cake! I love the contrast of color between the oranges and plums. Scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely bake. Never tried stone fruit cake, bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Kim..Thanks:D

    @ sanjeeta...Delicious too Sanjeeta...they were right to say that it taste better the next day when the juice from the fruits have sipped into the cake.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!