Naffnang

Followers

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Pandan/Sweet Potato Spiral Mooncake


When you see decorations like this, it means the mooncake festival is upon us soon.  There are stalls upon stalls of mooncakes sellers competiting with each other on the best offers of very attractive packaging and flavors to attract customers. This year, the price of mooncakes has gone up so it's much more economical to bake our own.

I finally decided to try this spiral mooncakes after visiting House of Annie who gave very precised instructions in making this delicacy with a video. Since this mooncake has sweet potatoes as the filling, and requires no mooncakes mould, I thus embark on my first try in making mooncakes.
Bought these Japanese Purple Sweet Potatoes and steamed it till cooked.  Lovely colour don't you think?
Mashed up and ready to use

All done and ready to go into the oven, very pretty I think:D

Fresh out of the oven! Should have added a drop of green for more obvious colour, so fragrant while baking though

Look at the colour, it's such a vibrant purple! The crust is very flaky, quite difficult to cut so finally just took a bite lol!

18 comments:

  1. They are so pretty jeannie. You are very talented baker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh...I love that purple sweet potato!!! I don't mind without the pastry...hehe. But the purple colour makes your moon cakes so outstanding. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what I'm thinking, right?

    Yes, you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty...!! I see mooncakes everywhere now everytime I visit a blog :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh, I love the color of the sweet potato! Beautiful job on your mooncakes. I made my first ones too this week. I wish we could see those lovely decorations here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that bright purple color, very neat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A few weeks ago, I complained that so many of my baked goods had no color...I obviously needed to take a step over here! These mooncakes look so delicious, and I just adore the vibrant hues!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These mooncakes look so beautiful...well done! Wish I can get purple sweet potatoes here. They would look so pretty in all kinds of baked goods.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful mooncakes!!! What a beatiful colour!! You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job! Now *those* are the sweet potatoes we wish we had used.

    Thanks for the link back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, Jeannie, those filling is incredible. Love it so much! Btw, how much is that purple sweet potatoes per kg? Expensive or not! Thanks for sharing such beautiful recipe & enjoy your weekend.
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  12. @erla...Thanks, I tried my best and still have plenty to learn:D

    @MaryMoh...I love the sweet potatoes too, ate the leftovers:P

    @MrMeatball ...Yeah I do...thanks again:D

    @Cooking Gallery...same here, that's why got motivated to bake some!:D

    @Lyndsey...I have seen your chocolate mooncakes and I think they are awesome! Must try my hand baking that type of mooncake.

    @Natasha...Thanks!:D

    @Monet....Thanks!:D

    @Lyndsay...It is interesting and quite fun to make too!

    @Biren..These sweet potatoes are imported from Japan and much sweeter than our local species:D

    @hellowaikitt...thanks for visiting:D Hope to see you more often:D

    @Nate@House of Annie...Thanks to your very helpful post, I was able to make this mooncake:D

    @Kristy...Kristy I didn't actually take note of the price but shouldn't be too expensive otherwise I wouldn't think of buying them lol!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done, Jeannie! I tried making these spiral mooncakes but failed to get that spiral pattern. Will definitely try yours. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Cheah, hope you enjoy making these mooncakes as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these...so beautiful! I really want to try a mooncake...I've seen them around a few times and I'm so intrigued by them...want to taste one! =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks girlichef and chef_d...:)I would send each of you some mooncakes if it's possible!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!