Naffnang

Followers

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Mieng Kham

I have a craving for Thai food of recent....this dish is also one of my favourites. I found a few versions of this delicious recipe from the internet and simplified it.  It was a hit with the boys!

Here is what I did:-

Prepared the following for the fillings:
40-50 wild beetle betel leaves (daun kadok) - I have lots in my backyard!
1/2 cup dried shrimps - toast for 10 minutes in the oven
1/2 cup peanuts - toast in oven, otherwise just buy from store, that's what I did:D
1 lime - choose the one with the thinest skin, i.e. the smoothest, cubed
1/4 cup shallots - peeled and roughly chopped
1/2 cup toasted coconut shreds (yes, I did this myself since I can't buy this anywhere)
1/4 cup ginger, skinned and cubed
1/4 cup bird's eyes chilies for those who want it spicy (I obmitted this)


The fillings all ready...
Now to prepare the sauce:-
Sauce ingrdients:

1 tsp shrimp paste
1 tbsp dried shrimps
1/2 tbsp galangal (blue ginger) thinly sliced
2 large shallots, sliced
1.5 tsp ginger, sliced
1.5 cup water
1 cup palm sugar (I used the whole piece, about 150g)
1 tsbp fish sauce
1/4 cup toasted coconut (toast this together with the above)
Salt to taste

Pound shallots, ginger and galangal till fine, add shrimps and continue pounding till fine. Put everything in a sauce pan with the 1.5 cup water and bring to boil. Add palm sugar and fish sauce.  Simmer till the sauce thickens, stirring ocassionally. Add salt to taste. Sauce should reduced to about 1 cup or less.


The sauce...fragrant and sticky and yummy!

The whole lot, all ready to be enjoyed!

The way to eat this dish is to take a leaf and fold it to make a cone, fill with a piece of each of the prepare filling, sprinkle some toasted coconut and scoop a teaspoon of the sauce on it and popped the whole thing into your mouth.  Mmmmm....delicious! Bursting with flavours, sweet, sour, spicy, crunching, chewy all in a mouthful!

Now pop that into your mouth and taste the flavours!

23 comments:

  1. Jeannie, I love the way this dish looks and sounds. I've never seen leaves used in this way before. It is quite nice. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's something completely new to me...looks fun and delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THis is definitely a new dish for me, I never heard of it before. I didn't even know what beetle leave is. Thank you so much Jeannie, I learn a new thing today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had Thai food, but it sounds so good. This sounds delicious. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeannie, I have no idea what are those leaves? Is that 'Pinang' leaves that the Indian people here used to eat? Hmm... sounds interesting and yet simple healthy little snack! Thanks so much for sharing. Enjoy your day.
    Cheers, kristy

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so interesting. It looks awesome, and I want to try it. Could you pass one over to me please? I love your description!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks ladies, for visiting. Would like to apologise for the spelling error for betel leaves. Betel leaves are the ones chewed by indians then spitted out. These are the wild ones which are edible. I have used these leaves before in my post for Otak-otak. The link is http://chinadoll-bakingdairy.blogspot.com/2010/06/otak-otak-fish-packets.html

    Have a wonderful day! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Thai food too so thank you for sharing this recipe with us! I loved seeing all the different ingredients on your plate. This is such a fresh and flavorful dish, and I'm sure it was enjoyed by all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks so flavourful, yum! I love Thai food, and you are so lucky to have acces to the leaves easily :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting way to eat. I can eat that non stop.....mmmm. Love the sauce. Would love to try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. it would be so hard to find betel leaves here. i can't believe you have them growing in your yard.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The betel leaves wraps look so delicious, love the flavorful sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jeannie, I had many Thai dishes, but have yet to try this one...it sure looks very tasty :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for visiting Jeannie! Your photos are so pretty and colorful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Monet..It was very delicious, the boys kept going to the backyard for more leaves!

    @Shaz...Thanks!

    @MaryMoh...the secret to the dish is the sauce!

    @Justin...I have lots of weeds that shouldn't be growing there too!

    @Natasha..Thanks!

    @Juliana...Do try it if you can find betel leaves, otherwise just substitute with other green vegetables.

    @Joie de vivre...Ditto!:D

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is something very unique..specially the betel leaf part .I have never used betel leaf for cooking before.Sounds like a fun recipe to try.Thanks a lot for this awesome share.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Kavita...Hi! these are the wild species that are edible...thanks for visiting:D

    ReplyDelete
  18. waw!! I have never seen aything like this before,...looks truly intruiging too!

    MMMMMMMMMM,..Thanks for introducing this to me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love mieng kham - so many different and complementary Thai flavors. I wish we had a betel tree in our backyard to gather the leaves from!

    Thanks for coming to our blog and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Sophie...You are most welcomed:D

    @Nate... Thanks for dropping by:D The betel plant is not a tree but just vines that can climb on host trees or whatever they can reach. The ones in my backyard are fighting for space with the weeds lol!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a gorgeous meal, I wish I could pop it into my mouth! I don't know what a betel leaf is, but I'd sure like to find out =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I had this once in a Thai restaurant and loved it, looks like a lot of preparation!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The difficult part is cooking the sauce Cheah, other than that just need to cut up the rest, no cooking required.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!