Naffnang

Followers

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Cheese Flavoured Pingpei Lotus Paste Mooncakes

Today Malaysia gets a new public holiday - Malaysia Day :D A bonus to those in the work force although some companies do not close but opt to pay compensation to their employees. With the extra free time, I indulge in my favourite past time which of course is baking! Most bloggers would probably be bored with all the mooncakes posts currently circulating in the internet but I need to put this on record for future reference. Actually I have the intention of making baked mooncakes today but bought the wrong type of flour, so have to change my plan accordingly.  Since this is also the first time I am making this type of mooncake, I don't really mind at all. Turned out very delicious though there is still plenty room for improvement where moulding is concerned. This time, I used store bought plain lotus paste as the filling and added cream cheese to the skin for flavor.
Not very tidy at the bottom as you can still see some dough jutting out:P
And the sides are not compact enough!

Anyway, for this mooncake, I adapted the recipe from Kuali. I thought it wise to obmit the egg yolk in the filling as it is going to be tricky moulding without the yolk as it is!

Ingredients for the dough:
•180ml UHT milk (I used evaporated milk)

•125g icing sugar
•60g cream cheese
•125g kou fun (commercial cooked glutinous rice flour)
•35g whipping cream
•1/4 tsp salt
•1 tsp lemon essence (I obmitted this)

Lotus paste filling:

About 1kg lotus paste, divide into 10 and roll into balls - I only managed to get 9 mooncakes; I used too much dough to patch up the bottom of the mooncake while moulding!

Some extra kou fun for dusting


Method:

1. Cook milk, cream cheese and icing sugar together in a double boiler saucepan over a medium heat. Keep stirring until mixture is smooth. Strain and leave aside to cool completely.
2. Add in whipping cream, salt and essence if using.
3. Add in kou fun and mix until a smooth dough is formed. Set aside to rest for 8–10 minutes.
4. Divide dough into 60g portions.

5. Roll out each portion into a round and wrap in lotus paste filling. Bring in the edges to enclose the filling. Press lightly into wooden mooncake mould. I used the kind of plastic mould where you just need to press down to get the design imprinted on the mooncake and then withdraw to dislodge the mooncake from the mould. Chill in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before cutting and serve.

Here you go, my Cheese Flavoured Pingpei Lotus Paste Mooncakes...yummy!:D

Below are the photos of the food that we had for today:
Homemade burger with cheese slice, pork patty and fried egg served with cherry tomatoes and a cup of coffee....big breakfast!
Baked mussels with light cheese, herbs and a sprinkle of chilli flakes as toppings...light lunch!:D

30 comments:

  1. These look great...I've always wanted to try and make these, but the molds are very hard to find here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those ping pei must be extremely delicious! I love the cheese flavour in it. Wow, really nice! Mooncake for dessert and burger for main course. Mussels for appertizer! What a perfect complete meal! haha... Hope you're enjoying your day.
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mooncakes are little works of art, Jeannie. I wish I could reach into the screen and try one. I would love a plate of your baked mussels too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure if I can get all of this ingredients, it certainly tempted of making this. Beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cakes look great, of course.

    And that really is one BIG breakfast! I'm full just looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks so good! Even the mooncakes that you seem to pick apart...hahaha!...they are stunning! I wish I could take a big bite...then the burger...and then the mussels all to myself!!

    Have a nice holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree...everything looks too tasty! I love looking at mooncakes on people's blogs...now I just need to get around to trying one. And your burger looked so juicy and delicious. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so cute! I dont think I'm brave enough to make these! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so beautiful! This is something I would absolutely love to make...I need to find a pretty mould like that! I hope you have a lovely holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have inspired me to make those baked mussels, Jeannie! I could eat all seven by myself!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another gorgeous looking mooncake! The use of cheese in the pastry is very ceative. Must be delcious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Bo...Hey Bo, good to see you again, and yes I know there are some asian things that you can't get just like there are certains things you have there but not easily available here!

    @Kristy...Thanks!:D

    @Cathy...Thanks! I drool over your lovely food photos too!

    @erla...THanks! Hope you would give this a try.

    @MrMeatball...Thanks! I know I eat too much:P

    @Lyndsey...I was hoping no one would notice the imperfections lol!

    @Monet...Thanks!:D

    @Kirby...It looks difficult but in fact quite easy to put together.

    @Faith....Hope you would give this a try if you can find all the ingredients.

    @Marty...I almost ate them all myself!

    @Biren...It is very delicious:D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for the mooncake recipe! I've always struggled to find a good recipe (and the proper moulds) - this will be fun to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretty mooncakes! And your other eats especially the baked mussels look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are the masterpieces! Love these baked mussels...mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your mooncakes are really lovely. I've never seen them with peach filling but imagine it must be delicious. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't know if I've ever seen anything like this before. They look wonderful. I think you did a wonderful job. =)

    Happy Malaysia Day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your mooncakes are so pretty! I can't imagine having the patience to make these. Those mussels looks delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. your mooncakes look delicious! I have never had any but they are calling to me!!! I love those mussels too, great job with those tasty creations!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those mooncakes look delicious. Good attempt, Jeannie! I've yet to try making pingpei mooncakes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your 1st time snow skin mooncake look so nice and very pro, well done! Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those are so pretty! I really like molding.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow..the moon cakes look perfect to me! Well one. I love that plate of baked mussels. Looks so beautiful and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jeannie, thank you for your kind comment you made earlier. You've been very supportive & encouraging. I am really appreciate it. Thanks!
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your mooncakes look so pretty...! I would nevertheless prefer the mussels because I don't really like the taste of mooncakes ;).

    ReplyDelete
  26. These look amazing. i love the pattern. They are so perfect, not one defect! well done.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These look delicious and beautiful! I wouldn't have noticed any imperfections had you not mentioned. And I really want to try the pingpei wrapper.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Jeannie, I never made mooncakes...yours looks awesome, so perfect :-) Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you all for visiting and leaving your lovely comments:D

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, your mooncakes look very professionally made :) Even though you pointed out their "flaws" I cannot see it! And cream cheese sounds like a very tasty addition. Happy belated Malaysia day and mid-autumn festival.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!