Naffnang

Followers

Friday, August 27, 2010

Suji(Semolina) Cake


This suji cake recipe is given by Ken, my son who is currently pursuing a culinary course at a local college. He just write down the ingredients and briefly explained what needs to be done, I have to type out the whole recipe here for my own record... The cake is very slight and fluffy due to the egg whites separation method of preparation.. love the texture too, with the crunch provided by the sugi. Absolutely delightful to eat, especially with a cup of coffee to go with it.

I have reduced the butter because all I have got left was 200g. Turned out to be a blessing in disguise because the cake is not as oily as it would have been.

Ingredients:

250g butter (1 used 200g)
80g castor sugar
10 egg yolks
vanilla essence

100g suji flour
100g cake flour

5 egg whites
100g castor sugar

Cream the butter with sugar till creamy light. Add the egg yolks 2 at a time and beat till combined. Add another 2 and repeat until all the yolks are used up.  Add vanilla essence at this stage.

Mix the 2 flours together and fold into the eggyolk batter. Mix well.

In another separate howl, beat the egg whites till soft peaks and then gradually add the sugar one third at a time.  Gently fold the egg whites into the yolk batter and bake at 190 degC for 40 mins or until skewer somes out clean.  Cool completely on rack before cutting.


12 comments:

  1. Delicious looking cake - the texture looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeannie, I love the texture of this cake. It looks scrumptious. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! I can tell how fluffy this is from the picture! What is sugi made from? I'm interested!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cake looks very moist and soft, I am sure it tasted delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does look very light! And how cool that your son is taking these culinary classes (I'm a bit jealous!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting ladies, hope you have a wonderful weekend:D

    @Reiko...Sorry for the confusion in the name of suji flour, should be semolina or suji as it is called here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeannie, the cake looks so soft and lucious! Wish I could have a slice or so. haha.... It's in my list to do. Thanks & have a nice weekend.
    Cheers, kristy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeannie, your desserts are always so lovely. This one is no exception. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeannie, I hope you are having a wonderful weekend. This cake is just they way I like it. I love cakes that are so moist no need for frosting! Yum! I have some coffee right now that would go wonderful with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the semolina cakes too. This looks so perfectly baked!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, this looks so good! i would love a slice right now!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!