Naffnang

Followers

Monday, August 9, 2010

Kuih Seri Muka (Glutinous Rice/Custard Pudding)


This is another very popular kuih among the locals here.  Some like a very soft custard topping but I prefer a firm one for easy handling. I'd made the soft custard before and have difficulty cutting it though it was very delicious! This time I adapted the recipe by adding more flour to the custard. The texture came out much firmer and very easy to cut.

Bottom Layer

300g glutinous rice, washed and soaked for several hours or overnight, then drained well
½ - ¾ tsp salt
200ml thin coconut milk
1 pandan leaf (screwpine leaf), knotted

Top Layer

6-7 pandan leaves, cut into 4-5 cm lengths
2 Large eggs

150g Castor Sugar
Blend the pandan leaves with 120ml water and measure out 120ml
400ml Coconut Milk
100g All-purpose Flour
3 tbsp Tapioca Flour
¼ tsp salt

Method:

Put well-drained glutinous rice in a 20cm square cake tin. Add salt to coconut milk and mix then pour over the rice. Stir well and place knotted pandan leaf on top.

Steam the rice over rapidly boiling water for 10-20 minutes or until rice grains are completely cooked.

Discard pandan leaf. Fluff up the rice with a wooden fork. Use a piece of banana leave or a piece of foil to lightly press down the rice into the cake tin until it is compact. Steam the rice again for 12-15 minutes.


To prepare the top layer:

Process the pandan leaves in a food processor until you get a fine pulp. Strain the pandan juice to obtain 120ml.
Combine eggs, sugar and coconut milk. Stir lightly until sugar dissolves, then add pandan juice and the 2 types of flour to mix.
 
Strain into a metal bowl to get a smooth mixture and allow to sit over a saucepan of simmering water. Use a wooden spoon to stir continuously until the custard starts to thicken slightly.


Pour the custard over the prepared rice and steam over GENTLE HEAT for 25 minutes or until completely set. (Do not steam over rapidly boiling water otherwise the custard layer will not be smooth and will puff up)
Allow to cool completely before cutting with a plastic knife.

Delicious!

21 comments:

  1. I love the bright green pandan color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeannie, I think we're going for Merdeka food this month! haha... I tried a few seri muka recipes but still not satisfied with the custard. I prefer it to be more springy than soft. Still trying out! So, see if I can come out with the chewy & springy kind of texture custard soon. Yours look pretty well done and delicious too! Hope you're having a wonderful day.
    Cheers, kristy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeannie, your rice pudding slices look so pretty! The combination of coconut and pandan is incredibly pleasant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is one of my favourite kuih muih! You must send this in for Muhibbah Malaysian monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful do these green and white cubes look! I love the coloring and I'm sure the flavor is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These looks beautiful! And so vibrant. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeannie, I love everything made with glutinous rice...so I am sure that I will love this dessert...looks so tasty and pretty :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your custards are really colorful and quite beautiful. They look delicious. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for visiting...appreciate your kind comments:D Hope you have a wonderful day or evening! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are gorgeous and the top green layer is such a vibrant color!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just gorgeous! I don't think I can get Pandan leaf here. I wonder what I could use instead?

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Natasha....thanks! welcome back:D

    @Kim....you can try looking for pandan paste or use vanilla with a drop of green coloring... won't be as fragrant though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one of my favourite kuih! Love how pretty they are!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, Jeannie, send this for M'sian Monday. Lovely kuih, I like the texture and just love the pandan flavour!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow......my favourite! I would love to make. I love the thicker custard layer. It's quite long since I last ate one. Thanks very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Ellie...Thanks!:D

    @Cheah... I don't know how to go about joining this Malaysian Monday thing

    @MaryMoh...I want to experiment a bit on getting the custard to be more chewy...perhaps you have some ideas? you are very good with ideas:D

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG Jeannie, I want to make this so much. I wonder if my husband will like it/ It doesn't not matter, I know I will. Terima kasih ya.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow Jeannie, a little too heavy for me to shoulder...haha. I wish I have loads of great ideas to get around cooking! Still learning :D I am thinking maybe you can add a little wheat starch (dien fen) to try....not too much though. I'm still drooling over your pictures :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. @erla....sama-sama:D

    @MaryMoh...That's agreat idea, maybe I'll change the AP flour to rice flour and add some wheat starch. Thanks! I'll try that the next time I make this:D

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the color..it's gorgeous! For sure this is very, very delicious too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks so lovely and vibrant. I like it soft but you're right, too hard to cut, so I eat it with a spoon :) But firm is good too.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!