Naffnang

Followers

Monday, August 23, 2010

Apple Cheese Pie and Plain Cheese Tarts



Beautiful weekend...the sun was shining very bright and hot, too hot to venture out in fact. So I had been a good girl and stayed in for most of the weekend:P With plenty of time to kill, I embarked on baking these very delicious cheese pie and tarts. Thought I would use up the granny smiths in the fridge for some variety...tasted good, the crust was suitably crumbly and the cheese filling soft. A bit overbaked though. Should have kept an eye on it instead of surfing the internet while the tarts are baking in the oven:P


The tart, uneven crust as you can see, some parts were too thick!
But tasty and crumbly....too little cheese filling, the boys said!

And this is a slice of the Apple Cheese pie,  cinnamon was added to it...uneven crust again! Smelt most fragrant and inviting while baking...delicious too!

Recipe adapted from Joy of Baking

Crust:


1 cup (130 grams) all-purpose flour
1/3 cup (35 grams)  icing sugar
1/2 cup (113 grams) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces ( I used salted)

Filling:

One 8-oz (227 grams) cream cheese, at room temperature
1/4 cup (50 grams) castor sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract  (I substitute with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice)

Topping:

1/4 cup (50 grams) castor sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I used 1 teaspoon)
4 cups (500 ml) Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch (.6 cm) slices (about 3-4 large apples)
1/3 cup (35 grams) sliced almonds (I obmitted this as I do not have it)


Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. Grease (or spray with Pam) a 9 inch (22 cm) springform pan. I do not have a springform pan, so I used the normal tart pan and 5 mini pans as I have doubled the recipe.

Crust:
In the bowl of your food processor place the flour and sugar. Pulse to blend together (I used my Kenwood K-mix to do this job for me). Add butter and pulse until dough just begins to come together. Pat the dough onto the bottom and one inch (2.5 cm) up the sides of the pan. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator while you make the filling.


Filling:
In a food processor (again, I used Kenwood K-mix) process the cream cheese until smooth. Add the sugar and mix well. Blend in the egg and vanilla extract (lemon juice for me) and process until smooth. Remove the crust from the fridge and pour in the filling. Return to refrigerator while you prepare the topping.

Topping:
Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl. Toss the sliced apples in the sugar mixture. Spoon the apples evenly over the cream cheese layer and sprinkle with almonds. I have some left over filling from the mini pans batch, so I just pour it over the apple slices.
Bake at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown (apples are soft when pierced with a fork), and filling is almost set. Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar and serve at room temperature. Leftovers can be covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated.

24 comments:

  1. I like any kind of apple dessert. I will like this one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though you say the crust is "uneven," I didn't notice. I think they're lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cheese tarts look like egg tarts, but I am sure I would love them too as I love cheese, same with the apple tarts :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so confused when I saw the date on this... then realized you are halfway around the world! It's still Sunday here in MN. :) That apple cheese pie looks awesome- Im going to keep that bookmarked for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The apple cheese pie looks especially wonderful - would love to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, I love apple pie but have never added a cheesecake layer. This looks delicious...can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore cheese tarts...but I think I like apple-cheese tarts even more! Even though the filling was baked a bit unevenly, I think it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the sound of Apple Cheese Pie. Look gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love both.....too hard to resist. I have to start baking more :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think its a prettier pie, more natural-looking, since its 'uneven'..and what a great combo...cheese and apple that is. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  11. A delightful cheese & apple pie!! MMMMMM,...moist & pretty too!

    I also love the plain cheese tartlets!!

    Yummmmm,...lucky boys!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummie, both look so delicious...apple and cheese and the little cheese tarts...nice photos as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. its hard to notice uneven crusts when your moaning in delite! Your apple cheese tart looks amazing! what I wouldn't give for a slice of that right now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, uneven crust or not, both of these look marvelous! I would love to try making the apple cheese pie. :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nothing really against your tartlets, but I crave your apple cheese cake, mmmh!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jeannie, I think both look wonderful. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you all for visiting and leaving your comments....keep me motivated:D
    Have a beautiful day/evening...Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Both of them look fantastic, the tartlets have a very smooth surface! Would love to try that apple cheese pie with a couple cups of Oolong tea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Never put apples and cheese in a pie...great idea...will have to use this combo one day in my baking too ;o)

    Flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you Angie:D

    Claudia, it's super delicious, trust me even though it doesnt looked it lol!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love Granny Smith apples. Love cream cheese. Never combined them - now I wonder, "why not?" Looks scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a new one and it sounds delicious! I've never had cream cheese in apple pie. What a great combo. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very interesting cheese cake tarts, they look wonderful! The apple cheese pie just seems to work beautifully!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!