Naffnang

Followers

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Roasted Beet Bread



You'll probably say this is a strange flavor for bread as that was my first reaction when I read about it in The Knead for Bread.  But the pictures that followed, showing a gorgeous looking panini, makes me want to try it out.  And it was very good, and so pretty with the red crust the beet gave to the bread! The texture is chewy, with a crunchy crust when out of the oven although the crust turn soft the next day. That must be because I didn't add a bowl of water in the oven when baking to create more steam. I added dried thyme instead of fresh ones as I do not have any. The dough before baking is a beautiful pink but the inside turns brown after baking. The crust remains pink though.

 Made these sandwiches  for breakfast and they were scrumptious! Even the boys said so and that's saying a lot coming from them!

This is my sandwich, just with eggs. I toasted the bread in the skillet after frying the eggs. See the red crust? Amazing thing is, the inside of the bread remains brown.



                                Yummy! Crunchy crust with a chewy inside.


This one has got sausages, cheese and tomatoes added. The lectuce got pulled out as usual. You need to have a big mouth to eat this! The boy had already chomped down on it before I could take a picture. He declared it more than delicious! :D

19 comments:

  1. Oh my, the bread looks gorgeous and love the panini! I love playing with breads too! Btw, those lavean can be kept for years! Angie have them for over one year now. She said it tastes fantastic though. Hope you have a pleasant evening!
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kristy... Ya I have read that the leaven can be fed and kept for long period of time. Must try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I love a good egg sandwich. Your loaf, with that pretty red crust, looks delicious and perfect for a tasty sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet this bread is delicious! Roasted beets have such a wonderful flavor to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bread looks very tempting, especially the sandwhich.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Cathy....I am still trying to recreate your kind of sandwiches which looked so neat and colorful...my boys do not like greens so one colour is out, sigh!

    @Bo...It is very delicious and the roasted beets tasted good on it's own too. We ate the leftovers with some salt and pepper:D

    @Cheah...Thanks Cheah, you made very good bread:D I never failed to drool over them.

    Have a nice day everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bread looks fantastic! Love the pretty color of the crust. And those sandwiches are mouth-watering!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way the crust turns pink. I would love to try this! I eat a lot of egg sandwiches, they are one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Cinnamon-Girl...Thanks! I've just discovered your blog and drooling over your photos! Btw, love your profile pic...such a cute one!

    @Kim...I love egg sandwiches too and this bread is really worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful colour! Love the texture too. This would be so delicious with curry...my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beet is my favorite, but never really try it for making bread. What a fabulous idea! It gives the bread a very pretty color.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Mary...I had some with sambal today and it was fabulous! Bread dipped into curries is my favorite too.

    @ elra...This is my first time using beet in bread too and I am glad I'd tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jeannie, your bread looks fantastic. You've made me curious to taste this loaf. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. MMMMMM,..a georgous roasted beet bread!!

    Luscious looking!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jeannie, what a nice bread...love the color of it, must taste as good as it look like :-) Yummie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Mary...Thanks! This bread is very delicious:D
    @Sophie....Thanks! I definitely making this bread again.
    @Juliana...I love the color too, so festive looking:D
    Have a beautiful day ladies:D

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks and sounds fabulous! I will have to try it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that sandwich looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Rosabela....please do try it, you'll enjoy it very much:D

    @pigpigscorner....Thanks! I enjoyed reading your posts on your recent holiday, especially those yummy photos you'd taken.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!