Naffnang

Followers

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Boiled Glutinous Rice Dumplings


The dumplings festival is about 2 weeks away but these dumplings are already on sale in hotels and of course you can also buy these dumplings at markets for a few ringgit each. Price will differ depending on the ingredients used. Some of the common ingredients would be pork belly (the fatter it is the better), dried shrimps, chinese mushrooms, salted duck egg yolk, dried oyster and chestnuts or split mungbeans. Hotel chefs are now coming up with ever increasing flavours to entice customers to buy their dumplings which are usually priced very exhorbitantly. Suffice to say, it's much cheaper to make your own, if you know how.  Since this is a long weekend, I'd decided to make these dumplings. My ingredients are pretty basic, just pork, dried shrimps,mushrooms and salted egg yolks. Blackeyed beans are mixed into the rice for easier assembling.

Now see if I am hardworking enough to try the sweet or nyonya version!

I just used the basic ingredients for these dumplings, but you can add more if you wish:-


  1. 1.5kg glutinous rice, wash and soak overnight before using;

  2. About 40-50 pieces of bamboo leaves depending on how large or small your dumplings are, soak overnight to soften;

  3. Some jut strings or if you can't find any, tie a bunch of rafia strings together, make a loop to hang it on a hook for easy tying of your wrapped up dumplings

  4. 100 gm of dried shrimps,

  5. 1 bulb garlic minced;

  6. 2 strips pork belly, try to choose fat ones, cut into bite sizes and season with salt, pepper and sesame oil

  7. 10 chinese mushrooms soaked and quartered

  8. 15 salted duck eggs - only use the yolk, halved

  9. 300g of blackeyed peas (or more if you wish), soak overnight

  10. Have ready 5 spice powder, salt, pepper, thick soy sauce, oyster sauce and of cos vegetable oil.

 Directions:


  1. Heat up 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok, add 1 tsp of garlic and fry the shrimps till it's fragrant and slightly crunchy. Set aside.

  2. Using the same wok, add 2 more tablespoons of oil and 1 tsp of garlic, fry till garlic is fragrant, then add mushrooms.  Stir fry for a couple of minutes, add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.

  3. Add 5-6 tablespoon of oil to the wok again and 2 tsp of garlic, fry till garlic is fragrant then add pork belly. Fry till the meat is cook on the outside, then add 2 tablespoons of thick soy sauce, a tsp of 5 spice powder and 2 tbspn of oyster sauce, add 2-4 tbspn of water and stir for a couple of minutes to combine.  Dish out and set aside.

  4. Lastly, add 1/2 cup of oil into the wok and the remaining garlic. Fry till garlic is fragrant then add the blackeyed peas. Fry for a minute and then add the rice. Use small fire to avoid burning the bottom. Sprinkle about 1 tbspn of 5 spice powder, 3 tbspn of oyster sauce, 3 tbspn of thick soy sauce (or less if you do not like your dumplings to be too dark), and salt to taste. If you find the rice is too dry, add a couple more tablespoon of oil. If too little oil is used, the rice will stick to the leaves when cooked.You can switch off the fire at this point and use a spatula to combine the ingredient evenly to the rice. Dish out and set aside.

  5. Arrange all ingredients so that they are easily accesible. I hang a hook on the handle of my kichen cabinet above my sink which is convenient as some sauce will drip out of the dumplings.

  6. Now you are ready to assemble and wrap your dumplings. I guess you have to follow the pictures above to get a rough idea of how to do it. I managed to get about 25 dumplings. Make sure you have   pot large enough to hold all your dumplings and fill it halfway with water and boil when you are half way through completing your dumplings. When all are ready, put the dumplings into the now boiling  pot of water and boil on medium fire for 2 hours or till the dumplings are cooked. Add boiling water once the water level decreased as you boil the dumplings.

  7. Remove from the pot once the dumplings are cooked and hang it out to drip dry or leave in a colander to remove access water.

  8. Enjoy the fruit of your labour warm or at room temperature, with chilli sauce or like me, eat it on its own. I find them flavorful enough.

33 comments:

  1. Oh, you already started making dumplings! I made one batch last week and going to post it out soon! Sweet flavour! I posted spicy sambal dumpling last year. My refrigerator is too small. Otherwise, I make all in one batch...senang! Hate waiting for them to boil! haha.... Have a pleasant evening!
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kristy you are pretty quick to comment lol...I am still editing and you are already in! Ya, I hate the boiling part too. Soooo long I can even nap while waiting, set the alarm every 30 minutes to add water lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow a lot of work that sure paid off. I'm exciting seeing all these scrumptious dumplings. Nice photo tutorial too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dumplings look like they were made by a professional. I make very simple goyza that are nothing in comparison to your creations. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had something like this, we have glutinous rice wrapped in banana leaves but it's sweet and sometimes stuffed with latik ( fried coconut curds). I'll add this to my must-trys, can I have a recipe for this? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all of you wonderful photos! Your dumplings look excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Lyndsey....Thanks:D

    @Mary...Aww thanks, but you cant see the actual dumplings which are different in sizes lol!

    @Olive, I have added the recipe:)Hope you would try it some day.

    @Kim...Thanks Kim!:D

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband just came over and saw the pictures and said "Wow, that looks good! What's that" That means I have to save this recipe and make it sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These dumplings look so delicious. Glutinous rice is already on my shopping list and your directions are very clear. I would love to give this recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. About time to make some glutinous rice dumplings for the coming "Dragon Boat Festival".
    Thank you for sharing how to wrap it up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Sook...Your husband will love you even more for making this dumplings for him:D

    @Cathy...would love to see your dumplings if you make them:D

    @Angie... you are welcomed:D

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are new to me...They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, these look so terrific with pork belly!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Jeannie, I love these dumplings...my mom makes them once in a while and I absolutely love it! Yours look very nice and I am sure that they are very tasty as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. No way ... you even have dumpling festival? I move to Malaysia now, hmmm I wish is that easy. Anyway, thanks to you, I can still have a taste of dumpling through your blog.

    p.s
    do people say, Happy dumpling festival there?

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Bo...They taste delicious too:)

    @Natasha...Thanks!

    @Juliana...They are very delicious:D But I do not like the long process of making them lol!

    @elra...You can come for a visit, plenty of room here:) and I guess you can greet people that though there is a chinese way of greeting. Pls don't ask me, I have no idea how lol!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved seeing the assembly photos! How fun and they look delicious as well!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, is it the season to make these dumplings? I'm so out of touch with the festival here. I remember my mom used to help my neighbours to make when we were young. She made hundreds of them, both sweet and savoury ones.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Kim...Thanks!:D Believe me when I say it's quite a chore to make these! Glad it only comes around once a year.

    @Mary...Yes, it's the season for dumplings and I am actually 2 weeks early lol! You are still on time if you want to make these. I'd love to try making the sweet ones if I could get hold of the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Further proof that you are skilled enough to attempt making what we previously discussed!

    Very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The photos are perfect - so helpful. I love that all these dumplings are created for a special festival. I want to try them all - from the pork belly to the sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  22. @MrMeatball...thank you very much, I am still not convinced, lol!

    @Claudia...Thanks! Be prepared for some long hours in the kitchen though lol!

    ReplyDelete
  23. They look perfect! I tried making once and had trouble with the wrapping.

    ReplyDelete
  24. @pigpigscorner.....Ann, practise makes perfect:D That's the only way to go! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  25. They look so yummy, Jeannie. I've never mastered the art of 'binding' the dumpling. Helped my mum when she made, and then they kept falling apart! I like the nonya ones, not easy to come by.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Jeannie,

    These dumplings look so good. I love to order something similar when I go to dim sum. The duck egg is my favorite part!

    ReplyDelete
  27. wor, this Ho Chak, can deliver some for me,hehehe, I still waiting for my mom to send me some, I'm not good in making chang...

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm just jumping back in to thank you for the birthday wishes. Hugs...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  29. @Cheah, THanks, I am looking out for the nyonya recipe too but no luck so far.

    @Kait...Duck eggs is a must in my dumplings:D

    @Sonia, Give me your address I can send some to you:D

    @Mary...Hugs back :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love pork belly! These look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Welcome to my blog Erica, thanks for reading, hope to see more of you. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  32. thanks Jeannie, wonder why I missed it the first time..lack of sleep maybe lol. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!