Naffnang

Followers

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Beet Juice Chiffon Cake

I still have one beet left over from making the Roasted Beet Bread, so decided to make the simplest of cake as it was already quite late in the evening after having my simple dinner of mixed vegetables (shown below). Chiffon cakes are the easiest that comes to mind. I adapted my orange chiffon cake recipe by substituting the orange juice with beet juice and throwing in 2 tablespoons of poppyseeds. The result? Nice pinkish soft and fluffy cake! That would be my lunch tomorrow, washed down with a cup of coffee with instant cereal...yum!
 
The batter was a very nice pink before baking, but came out with the same effect as the beet bread, the colour of cake, with a slight pinkish tinge at the top. Quite pleased with the results, although, would love to see a whole pink cake. That would be real pretty.

And this plate of multi-colored capsicums stir-fried with button mushrooms and onions was my dinner. Very pretty too, I thought. Delicious and healthy as well:)


20 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to try baking something with beets since you have had such good luck. Your peppers and mushrooms look great. I love the different colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beet gives it such a nice pinky colour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely bake! And that stir fried mix bell pepper definitley is one of my favourites. Thanks for sharing!
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a truly exotic cake - I wish I could taste it....

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmmmh, pinkish chiffon cake, how pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Bo...Thanks Bo! I know you are willing to try anything (even durians!) so give it a go!

    @pigpigscorner...Would much prefer it if the color didn't fade after baking...now I only get a tinge on the surface!

    @Thanks Kristy:D

    @doggybloggy....Thanks!:D

    @elra....Thanks! Not as pinkish as I would have like but pretty enough lol!

    Have a cheery day everyone!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The chiffon cake sounds so good with beet juice, I love that pink color on top!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never try beet in my baking, look at your pinky chiffon, I must try this one day. And love your colourful veggie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks wonderful. I love the idea of using the leftover beet to produce this lovely chiffon cake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cake is very exotic looking. I love chiffon cake and yours looks especially appealing. I'll have to give this a try. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. @5 Star Foodie...I love the pink too:D

    @ Sonia.....Thanks! do try and show us your result:)

    @Velva...Thanks Velva...it does look very lovely, especially before you bake!

    @Mary....It is very pretty in pink Mary, thanks.

    Have a nice day ladies...I am off to work:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great stuff, both the bread and cake! Have you tried making either dish with tinned beetroot?

    ReplyDelete
  13. No, Marty...any ideas?:D Or you try and I'll copy lol!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just jumping in to let you know you are 1/3 correct :-). I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the hint of pink the beets bring. I would love to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ Sook....THanks, it is very delicious!

    @ Kim...the cake batter was pink before baking, somehow it changed to pale yellow after baking with a hint of pink on the surface.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh...I love chiffon cake. It's just one cake that you can eat and eat and never feel full! Love the lovely colour from beet root. I love all your baking, Jeannie.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a nice looking cake. Good combo and nice colour, very innovative!

    ReplyDelete
  19. beet juice...wow,lovely layer of color...did it taste of beets or just a hint of it?

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!