Naffnang

Followers

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Baked Redbean Paste Crepe

Made these baked pastry crepe for tomorrow's breakfast. Pretty simple instructions. You can vary the fillings too. The original recipe calls for lotus seed paste but I have only redbean paste so I used that.
The pastry turned out very flaky! The recipe if you want to try can be found @ Martythyme. This recipe of hers actually appeared in the Star newspaper and that was where I found her blog. Do visit her and take a look at her picture guides if you find the descriptions confusing.

Baked Lotus Seed Paste Crêpe

Serves 2-3

1¾ cups lotus seed paste (red bean is a good substitute), divided into 4 portions
Some oil and sesame seeds to garnish

Water dough:
¾ cup unbleached plain flour (I used AP)
1 tablespoon icing sugar
1 tablespoon shortening
3-4 tablespoons water

Oil dough:
½ cup cake flour, sifted (no cake flour, so AP will have to do :P)
3 tablespoons shortening

Water dough:
Sift the flour and icing sugar together. Rub in the shortening, then gradually add the water until the mixture comes together (you may not need to add all the water). It will hold together but will be stiff and stringy; knead for 3-4 minutes and the dough will become smooth and elastic.

Oil dough:
Combine the ingredients and press together into a ball. This dough will hold together but be a little powdery.
Cover both dough and set aside to rest for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 190°C. Divide the water and oil dough into 4 portions for easy handling. Roll or press out the water dough into a disk and place the oil dough in the centre, then wrap the water dough around it to enclose and form into a ball.

Roll out the dough into a long oval, then roll into a Swiss roll. Give the dough a quarter turn and roll out lengthwise again. Make a Swiss roll again, give it another quarter turn and finally, roll out into a rough rectangle. Spread one portion of lotus paste on one half of the pastry and fold the other half over to cover the paste.

Place pastry in a baking tray. Brush oil on the top and scatter with sesame seeds, lightly pressing them into the pastry. Bake for 20-25 minutes until puffed and golden. Serve cut into bars. Enjoy!


14 comments:

  1. Wow well done! Looks terrific! I love this kind of goodies too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look beautiful and flaky. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm...these look so flaky and delicious. I love the red bean paste but so much work to cook it. I just wish you can make these for me :P Jeannie, you are just so good in baking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look fantastic. I love red bean paste, I need to see if I can find it around here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by at my blog and linking this recipe to it, Jeannie. This was one of my favourite challenges for the Don't Call Me Chef column in The Star and I'm glad readers have tried the recipe. Love the look of your crepe!

    By the way, for those who don't have cake flour, all-purpose is fine; just substitute a tablespoon of it with cornflour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Kristy..Thank you :D Going to make a batch again soon, I like it very much.

    @ Joie de vivre...It is very flaky, the crust breaks off very easily.

    @Mary....The redbean paste is store bought:P I am too lazy to make my own:P

    @Bob...:D you can make your own and show us lazy ladies how hard working you are!

    @Marty...you are most welcomed... will definitely stop by your blog when I have ran out of ideas to bake or cook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are my kind of snacks, so so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you're crepes looks perfect...I still have some sweetened red mung beans would like to try this I just don't know if I can make it as good as you. Thanks Jeannie :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Chef Jeena...Thanks:D

    @Olive...you are a much better cook than I am, so I am sure you can do better:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooh, the red bean paste in the pastry sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done, Jeannie! So tempting, also resemble Shanghai pancake.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Stacy....they were very delicious, no more left:D

    @ Cheah...Thanks! This is so incredibly easy to make too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow..that looks like my favorite pancake dessert! u r really good in cooking too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @reanaclaire...thanks! I am only good at following recipes and substituting with ingredients that I do not have in the kitchen:D

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!