Naffnang

Followers

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Banana Cupcakes

There's a comb of bananas sitting on the table ripening very fast so I had 2 choices. Throw them away when it gets too ripe or bake some cakes with them.  I figured even if nobody is going to eat them, I can still give them away to the neighbours, right? And since I am still on leave and having so much free time, I decided to bake some cupcakes with it. So happens some of the boys' friends came over for a visit and one of them, took one look at the cupcakes, said "oooo....banana cupcakes with chipmores" and promptly gobbled up 5! After that, he asked why no chocolate cakes this time? (*eyes rolling*) The remaining cupcakes we had for breakfast, after the boys improvised a bit by adding more chocolate chips and microwaved them before eating and declared them very delicious! Hmmmm.... bet they meant the chocolate chips, not the cupcakes.



Here's the recipe which I have adapted from The Kuali:-

Ingredients:

175g butter
140g castor sugar (original is 175g)
4 eggs, separated
1 cup well mashed very ripe bananas (add 1 tsp lemon juice to mash)
235g self-raising flour, sifted (I used top flour with 1 tsp baking powder)
3/4 tsp baking soda
1.5 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon zest (I obmit this)

Method:

Grease and flour a 21cm cake tin and preheat oven at 170 degC. Obviously, I made them into cupcakes instead.

Beat sugar and butter till light and creamy. Add egg yolks one at a time and beat well.

Add mash bananas and fold in sifted flour/baking powder/baking soda, lemon juice and zest, if using.
Beat egg white till stiff and gently fold into banana mixture.

Pour batter into prepared tin or cupcakes moulds (paper lined) and bake for 45-55 minutes if you are using the cake tin or 25 minutes if making into cupcakes.  The chocolate chips are optional. Scatter on the top of the cake before baking.

9 comments:

  1. MMMMMMM,...Jeannie!!

    Your banana cupcakes look so light & tasty!! Yum Yum Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...banana cake. I love it. I can never get tired of it. To me, it's healthy food :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sophie....It is very fluffy and moist:D

    @Mary Moh...Gong Xi Fa Cai to you:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Banana muffins are a favorite here and I love the addition of chocolate chips. What a great flavor combination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Cathy...They are quite delicious with the chocolate chips....the boys insisted on putting more before eating them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heh, I'd eat 5 too! They look awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol @ Bob... boys love bananas generally don't they? Except my boys :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yumm... I love banana flavour cupcake and yours look really moist & delicious.
    Btw, Gong xi fatt chai & Happy Chinese New Year to you & your family too. Wishing you the very best on the year of tiger.
    Best regards,
    kristy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jeannie! :)

    I can't blame that boy for eating 5 in one sitting, your banana cupcake sounds so yummy, I'm quite sure they are..and what a coincidence I just made some banana muffins too with black and white chocochips..:)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!