Naffnang

Followers

Monday, January 11, 2010

Comfort food?

Been busy baking these cookies for the boy to take to the boarding school he's attending as he is feeling homesick and hopefully these cookies will give him some comfort. Poor fella's been calling every evening, asking to come home. Guess he needs more time to adjust to life away from home...sigh!


3 Flavoured Cookies...ChocolateNuts, PoppySeeds and Cherries Butter Cookies...very crispy and delicious! Need to practise patience to freeze it really well till dough is firm and to practise cutting the dough too!
Well, here's the recipe which I have printed from here. I have finally found the site after doing a search on the internet.

Ingredients:

300g flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
230g butter
340g sugar (I reduce this to 200g)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup chopped candied cherries
1/4 cup chopped pecans (I substituted with almonds)
2 tbl milk chocolate, melted (I substituted with 1 tbsp of cocoa powder mixed in 2 tbsp hot water)
2 tbsp poppy seeds (can substitute with black sesame seeds)

Method:

Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
Cream butter and sugar and beat in egg and vanilla.
Then mix in the flour mixture till combined.
Divide dough into 3 equal parts. Mix the chocolate and nuts into one part and press evenly into the bottom of a waxed paper lined 9 x 5 " loaf pan. Set pan in the freezer for a few minutes until firm. 
Next stir in cherries into the second dough portion. Add 1 drop of red food colour and mix till evenly combined. Then press evenly on top of the chocolate layer and put back into the freezer until second layer is firm.
Lastly, add poppy seeds into the remaining dough and press that evenly over the cherry layer. Cover pan and chill in the fridge until firm.
Remove dough from loaf pan and cut into thin slices (1/8 inch). (I find using a plastic knife is much easier)
Bake on greased or parchment lined baking sheets for about 10 minutes at 170 DegC. Watch closely to make sure u don't burn the cookies. When it's browned slightly, take out and cool completely before storing in air tight containers.
You can change the placement of the layers according to your liking. I did mine with the cherries layer on top.



Brown Sugar Cookies

These cookies are his favourite.

19 comments:

  1. Boarding school must be hard, but the cookies look great! Love the triple ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 3 color cookies looks so yummie :-) Oh! I feel sad for your boy :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a wonderful mom! I'm sure you miss him lots. It must be tough staying away from home for the first time. Hope he gets adjusted soon. These cookies look gorgeous. I really hope they help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cookies are delicious, sure to make your boy feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Bob and Juliana...thanks, this is the first time I am making it, so the shaping is way out.

    @Mary...We women always try our best to be wonderful moms, don't we?:D

    @ 5 Star...I certainly hope so. Must remember not to pamper him too much when he comes home, otherwise he'll feel homesick when he has to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the three coloured cookies look delicious! yum - my mouth is literally watering!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Lucky Girl...thanks for dropping by:D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jeannie, these cookies look awesome! Well done. I'm sure your boy will get over it later. No worries! How old is him anyway? Btw, I've something for you. Please feel free to drop by and collect it. Have a nice day. Cheers!
    p/s I think we're all getting busy lately...getting ready for the coming CNY! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Kristy..the boy is a big baby at 14 yrs old lol! This is the first time I am putting him in boarding school and I think he misses his computer games more than me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh man...I remember when I first went to boarding school, I called home everyday too. New environment, new people and it was winter, which made me even gloomier...

    ReplyDelete
  11. @pigpigscorner...did you regret going to one and do you grow up to be a better person?

    ReplyDelete
  12. These cookies will surely make your boy feel happy..I can just imagine how hard it is for him to be away from home and for you too but he'll learn to adjust that's for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @olive...he's taking much longer at adjusting that I had expected...sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sure is comfort food to me, the cookies look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Chef Jeena...Thanks Jeena, I am going to try baking your very yummy looking brownies one of these days:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sometimes it take awhile to adjust to being away from home, but cookies from mom always help.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never had brown sugar cookies. They look wonderful! I hope these help your son to feel better about being away from home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't imagine having my boys away for school. My oldest is almost 15 and I've already started pointing out how easy would be for him if he would stay at home while attending university. Fortunately he has a few great ones ( universities ) in Toronto, and he agrees for now.
    I love the three colours cookie. I hope your son will start adapting of being away from home :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Cathy, Kim and Laura, for your words of comfort. The boy is still struggling with his new environment but he is slowly adjusting to it, and of cos I would prefer him to be home too but circumstances are such that it is not possible.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!