Naffnang

Followers

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Steamed okra with sambal




This is my first try on cooking this sambal and it turned out pretty good though the boys said it's not spicy enough.  Probably because I do not add dried chilli as I ran out of it. You can make this sambal and keep in containers in the fridge and use it for stirfried dishes or just eat it as an accompaniment to steamed vegetables like I did here with steamed okra.

Ingredients;

10 fresh red chilies (remove seeds and sliced)
1 large onion
2 cloves garlic
1 inch of ginger
1 inch fresh tumeric
1 table spoon of belacan (shrimp paste)
50g of dried shrimp
2 stalks of lemon grass (use on the head)
3-4 kafir lime leaves (Shredded)
3 tablespoon of oil
1 tsp salt
2 tsps sugar
1/4 cup water

Grind the first 9 ingredients together with 1/4 cup water until you achieved a paste.
Heat your frying pan (non-stick pan is fine if you do not have a wok) and add the oil.
Fry the grinded paste on medium heat till almost dry.
Cool completely before storing or serve with hot steamed okra. You can use other vegetables like eggplants, long beans or frenchbeans would be good too.



5 comments:

  1. I have never made okra. This does look nice and I think I'd really enjoy it. I wonder if my kids would try it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah some people do not like okra because of their seeds. Sometimes I sliced the okra and stir fried them with the sambal with a little garlic and oil. No water added.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a great combination. I'll surely eat a big plate of that. Okra is such a healthy vegetable, good for the bowels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to love taking okra! But after a food & vege trader friend told me about this okra. I cut down the intake. You know, okra has many tiny hair along the skin, right? When the farmer spray on the chemical, it is not easy to wash out of the skin. So, it's like eating poisionous okra all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you have put me off okra Kristy:P Luckily I don't cook this vegetable often.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!