Naffnang

Followers

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Ma Lai Gao (Malay Cake)

I was very excited when I stumbled upon the recipe for this cake in My Little Space and decided to try it straight away.  The steps seemed easy enough. I prepared my starter dough in the evening and left if in a covered container to proof overnight on the counter top. She did not state if I need to keep it in the fridge or not so I just assumed I am to leave it at room temperature.

I followed the steps exactly as should be but somehow, my cake did not have all the nice holes at the bottom as it should. I wondered what happened? Maybe I should have mixed in the baking powder and baking soda to the batter before proceeding to the second proof? Because when I mixed in the rising agents, the batter seem to deflate again. Sigh! Looks like it is not so simple to make this cake after all.


Looks promising from the surface...


Inside still fluffy but no holes at the bottom!


So disappointed...:(

9 comments:

  1. Hi Jeannie :)

    It's okay, your cake looks delicious, besides it's just your first try anyway maybe you'll make it perfect next time :) Oh, I have an award for you to pick up over at my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your kind words Olive:D I feel better already. I think the cake still taste nice and my dog Gigi, thinks so too. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear...but I'm sure it still tastes very good. I believe your second attempt will turn out well. A lot of my food failed at the first attempt. There are some that took me more than 5 times to get it right. I'm glad I didn't give up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 5 times! wow...I don't think I would want to try it again anytime soon until more research is done on this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still haven't learn how to make that yet.
    As long as there is a guinea pig to eat it up, always keep trying. =D Ommmyum... :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Besides that, pour the batter to the baking tray and rest for 1/2 hour before steaming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Jeannie, don't be upsad! I've actually left down a message back to the previous posting. However, I'll try to explain one more time to you.
    (1) probably you've over mixed/beaten the batter.
    (2) the eggs you used less liquidity due to more egg yorks than egg whites.
    (3) the batter should be in 2 clearly seen portion after 2-3 hours of fermentation. Upper layer should be fluffy with air and bottom layer looks more watery.
    Tips : reduce the starter dough to 230gm. Pour batter into the baking tray 1/2 hour before steaming. Or add in an additional small egg.
    Well, all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And for darker colouring, you can add in 1/2 tspn of dark soy sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Mrs K, Thanks for your kind words. I am going to try one more time since Kristy has provided more tips.

    @Thanks Kristy, I am going to give it one more try.

    I think my mistake is I didn't rest it after mixing the baking powders and pouring into the steamer pan.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!