Naffnang

Followers

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Honeycomb Cake


I have tried making Ma Lai Koh (steamed version of this cake I think) without much success, twice. So I thought, maybe I'll get better result with this baked version which has similar holes in it.  I must say, this version needs more work, like caramelising the sugar first before adding into the batter. On the plus side, I do not have to make any starter dough which needs overnight proving and also another 2 hours of proving of the batter and a further wait of 20 minutes before steaming. Glad to say that I managed to pull this through with more success than the steamed version. When you cut through the cake and see lots of holes like its namesake, you know you've got it right!


Got this recipe from this blog....I'll paste the recipe here for my own easy reference.


Makes one 8" round cake

Ingredients
(A)

200g caster sugar
240g water
60g butter

(B)

6 eggs
160g condensed milk

(C)

180g all-purpose flour
2½ tsp baking soda
* sifted together

Method

  • Caramelize sugar over low heat in a saucepan until it is golden brown. Keep stirring to prevent burning.
  • Add water slowly to the caramel. Be careful as the hot caramel will splash when water is added. Continue to heat until syrup is homogeneous. Remove from heat. Melt butter in the hot syrup. Set aside to cool completely.
  • While waiting for syrup to cool, lightly beat the eggs with a hand whisk in a mixing bowl. Add condensed milk and mix well.
  • Pour the egg mixture into the sifted flour and mix well.
  • Add caramel syrup to the batter and mix well to combine. Pour into the prepared pan and leave to proof for 20 minutes to enable the baking soda to react before baking at 170 deg C for 1 hour with a bottom heat only (alternatively, cover the top of the cake with a piece of aluminium foil). Original recipe said 30-40 minutes which is definitely not enough for my oven. Mine took as long as 1 hour to cook.
  • Leave in oven for 5 minutes before taking out to cool completely on rack.
  • Last but not least, say a pray and cut your cake to see if it has those desired holes in it! :D
Enjoy this tasty cake with a nice cup of greentea or chinese tea.






9 comments:

  1. i like the look of this cake. save a piece for me hor. apek

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the cakes look so moist and yum. Just the way I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The texture looks gorgeous! Have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I really miss this cake. I love the texture and its lovely look. I used to eat this when I was back home. My best friend is very good in making this honeycomb cake. Maybe I should just go to you. You'll make for me, right? Or I can be your colleague :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Apek, by the time I see you the kek would be in our tummies already.
    @Sook, It is very moist and delicious:)
    @pig (you do not look like a pig btw) Please let me know how it turns out if you try it. Thanks!
    @Mary, I'll bake a whole cake for you anytime. Let me know when you are back in Malaysia:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool looking cake! I would love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Jeanni, this look really beautiful but sorry to let you know that this is not 'Ma Lai Go' but Malay Honeycomb Cake. They do look very similar but actually are both different! 'Ma Lai Go' has spongy top layer! =D However, congrats! You did a splendid job on this one and it tastes fantastic as well. Horay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. congrats Jeannie, it's a beautiful cake..I've never heard of this before and yes I think it's perfect with a cup of green tea and a good book :)

    Christmas is just a few days away and we're all gonna get busier so I want to greet you now a Merry, Merry Christmas...and to your family too :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. @the Ungourmet...please show a picture if you do try it:D
    @Kristy...I know it is different from the Ma Lai Go but I have tried that twice and still not successful, so I thought I'd do a similar looking cake instead...he!he:D
    @Olive...THanks for dropping by despite your hectic schedule. A very Merry Christmas to you and your family too. Hope you enjoy yourself during the festive season. I know I would:)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!