Naffnang

Followers

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Lemon Scones

Just baked these scones this evening.  Very good, flaky, crispy outside and soft inside. That's my boy's description. He ate 2 pieces! So surprised b'cos he normally won't eat scones (not that I bake scones very often though)
I suspect he likes the lemon glaze on the top of the scones!Not complaining... not easy to get him to eat my bakes, really!  Most times, the dog gives more enthusiatic reactions than him.

Here's the recipe for record purposes. Adapted from this site. Substituted meyer lemons with ordinary lemons (never seen or heard of  meyer lemons until I saw this post in the blog). Used only 6 tbsp to form a workable dough. I suspect my flour measurement was probably a bit out. I am not used to measuring by cups.

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, chilled and cut into 10-12 small pieces
8-10 tbsp fresh meyer lemon juice ( I used the normal lemons)
1-2 tsp meyer lemon zest

Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.


In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add butter and toss to coat. Using your finger tips, rub the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles very coarse sand. A few large bits are ok, but most should be smaller than a pea.

Add 5-6 tablespoons of lemon juice and zest and stir dough with a fork. Add remaining juice until dough comes together into a not-too-moist ball (I need only 6 tablespoons of juice). Divide dough in to two balls and flatten onto baking sheet to form discs of about 1-inch thick. Divide each disc into quarters and separate slightly. I cut it into 8 pieces.

Bake for 20-22 minutes, until scones are a light golden color. A toothpick should comes out clean, but color is a reliable indicator for these.

For the “glaze”: Mix together a few tablespoonfuls of white sugar with a tablespoon or two of lemon juice to make a paste. Drizzle on scones when hot out of the oven.

Let scones cool before eating.

2 comments:

  1. Your scones look delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting Karine. Your blog is lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Welcome to my blog! Love to hear from you, good or bad:D. Have a nice day! Cheers!